Re: [FH] Re: Pumpkin

  • heatherwallace506@adelphia.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2004
      It is so comforting to read about peoples' furbabies living well beyond the vet's original prognosis, which leaves me thinking about two questions:
      1. Why do the vets continually give sombering prognosis';
      2. If your cat has been diagnoses with severe HCM and has lived many years beyond the diagnosis date, how do your cats act?
      a. do they act like they don't feel good everyday?
      b. has it still been hard for them to play?
      My Felix seems to be doing "okay". He isn't himself, but he still is eating and drinking and wants to play, but then flops on the floor because, i guess, he feels winded or can't breathe well.
      Heather & Felix--7 years old, severe HCM with low blood pressure, dilatezem and baby aspirin.

      > From: "Tia" <elanonuevo@...>
      > Date: 2004/08/01 Sun AM 12:30:40 EDT
      > To: <feline-heart@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: [FH] Re: Pumpkin

    • Heather Grace
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2004
        Hi Heather,

        > 1. Why do the vets continually give sombering prognosis';
        Many cats die suddenly from heart disease. A lot of times people
        don't know their cat had heart disease until after their cat has
        died. I had a cat who died last year very "suddenly" on me. I was
        able to get him to the vet the day before he died (he started having
        these weird comatose-like seizures) and I was told that he had a loud
        heart murmur. He had a full blood workup done that came out normal,
        but Sweetie died before we could do any further testing.

        Purcy's vet & cardiologist have never given me a prognosis on how
        long they think he'll live, but I was told from day one to be
        prepared to take him to the emergency vet at anytime, and that Purcy
        could go downhill quickly and that he was at risk for developing a
        blood clot.

        > 2. If your cat has been diagnoses with severe HCM and has lived
        many years beyond the diagnosis date, how do your cats act?
        > a. do they act like they don't feel good everyday?
        Purcy was only dx'd just over a year ago, but in the beginning I
        never thought that he'd live this long. For the first six months
        Purcy was lethargic all the time, would only eat a little (he was
        anorexic at first), and he wanted to be alone. He looked very
        depressed, and I'm sure that most of what I saw was him grieving over
        the death of his best furbuddy, but before he was put on Lasix he
        sounded like he was congested so breathing was becoming labored for
        him.

        Now he is doing ok as far as I know, although the vet said he heard
        some fluid in his lungs (this is new for Purcy; his lungs have always
        been clear). Purcy is due to see his cardiologist soon for his 6-
        month check up so I'll probably have him get a chest x-ray as well as
        an ultrasound when he goes in. But as for how he's acting now, he
        still likes to sleep a lot, but he also loves to go outside and watch
        squirrels. He's seven and doesn't really play anymore, but sometimes
        I see him running about when he's outside and he looks like he's
        having fun with the other cats. Purcy is usually "perky" when I get
        up in the morning, hoping I'll let him go outside, and again at
        dinnertime. If he's not perky at all and food doesn't interest him,
        then I know something's wrong with him, like when he had an URI and a
        fever not too long ago.

        > b. has it still been hard for them to play?
        Purcy isn't really interested in playing so I can't answer this
        question. It sounds like your Felix is probably over exerting
        himself when he plays. I don't know what you can do to get him to
        play less, though.

        > My Felix seems to be doing "okay". He isn't himself, but he still
        is eating and drinking and wants to play, but then flops on the floor
        because, i guess, he feels winded or can't breathe well.
        > Heather & Felix--7 years old, severe HCM with low blood pressure,
        dilatezem and baby aspirin.

        I hope that Felix will live a long time with his HCM. You are doing
        a great job taking care of him!

        (another) Heather

        =====
        Purcy: Male Himalayan, diagnosed 07-2003 at 6 years of age with HCM
        with severe mitral valve regurgitation and mild left atrial
        enlargement, slight pericardial effusion: grade 3 murmur Left apical
        & grade 2 Right sided systolic murmur, Enalapril Maleate 1.25 mg 1x
        day, Furosemide (Lasix) 6.25 mg 2x day, 1 aspirin 81 mg every three
        days administered via pilling.