Re: [FH] blood work questions!

  • William Draper
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2004
      the bloodwork that is really relevant in HCM cases is the thyroid panel. using bloodwork to diagnose HCM is a mistake. there are a number of things that can be going on in a cat with HCM, so there aren't really any reliable indicators. some cats will show a pre-renal azotemia (increased BUN/creatinine) from a decrease cardiac output, vomiting, or anorexia. some will show increased liver enzymes due to liver congestion. if the cat throws a clot, you may get increased serum CK because of muscle damage. but none of these are really diagnostic.

      bill
      dvm in 2005
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2004
        Hi Tori,

        In a message dated 7/31/04 1:33:39 PM, tw@... writes:

        << Is there a chart or does someone know where I can find what a
        "normal" bloodwork panel should look like and what to look for when some of
        the values are skewed? >>

        Some sites with information on blood panels for cats are here:

        1. www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/lab.htm
        2. web.vet.cornell.edu/public/popmed/clinpath/cpmodules/chem/chempanl.htm
        3. http://cathelp-online.com/glossary2.html
        4. http://home.gci.net/~divs/disease/lab_tests.html

        << I want to be able to question some
        things if jcee's bloodwork comes back different from what is considered
        normal. >>

        Good for you!!!! The more informed we are as caregivers, the better for the
        cats.

        << I'm concerned about the effect
        these meds might be having on his kidneys. >>

        The primary kidney indicators are BUN + creatinine, but phosphorus,
        potassium, sodium, and HCT/PCV are also useful, as is urine specific gravity.

        << I don't have the
        values with me but expect them on Monday >>

        It's useful to keep copies of all testing...not only so that you can keep
        informed but also to have a record in case of emergency. // Rosemary