holestic

  • ne woods
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2001
      this article was in this pet magazine does anyone have an opinion
      http://www.pettribune.com/1998/080998/8.html

    • Voula Augerinos
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 9, 2001
        Hi Melody,
        I read a study done that showed Hawthorn was effective for heart
        problems. But I have also heard some herbalists say that in some kinds of
        heart disease Hawthorn may not be the best to use. Other herbalists say
        there is no problem. The reason escapes me, but if you go to
        http://www.holistic.com and look under "Heart" and in the archives you will
        find discussion and information that may help.

        http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
        (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)

        ----------

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 9, 2001
          thanks for info.....

        • brunobaby@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 9, 2001
            --- In feline-heart@y..., "ne woods" <newoods@1...> wrote:
            > this article was in this pet magazine does anyone have an opinion
            > http://www.pettribune.com/1998/080998/8.html

            Well, let's see:

            >1) Dilates the blood vessels, especially the coronary vessels,
            reducing peripheral resistance to blood flow thereby increasing
            circulation to tissues.

            >2) Hawthorne contains substances that protect heart cells. Medical
            studies have established that when hawthorne is present the heart
            muscle can survive on less blood and oxygen.

            >3) The flavonoids in Hawthorn work to increase oxygen utilization by
            the heart.

            Sounds like it does the same things as Inderal.

            Regular vets and doctors often stay away from "natural" meds because:

            a) It's hard to determine the dosage needed,

            b) As it's natural and not chemical, drug companies can't get a
            patent on it, so research dollars aren't poured into it. So you don't
            have enough reliable data to show just how well or how badly it works.

            In our case, our vet prescribes an "allopathic" med, like Inderal,
            and boosts it by recommending vitamins and "no by-products" low-
            sodium cat food. And he was a chemist before he was a vet, so he
            knows about the properties of drugs. He's also read up on his Dr.
            Pitcairn.

            BTW, Pongo seems to be doing well on his Inderal, eating like a
            Dustbuster with fur. He goes for a follow-up EKG tomorrow morning,
            all fingers and paws crossed.

            We're supposed to get the results on Phoebe's echo today.

            --Melinda