Missed medication?!

  • Sarah
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 10, 2004
      Last night, as I was going to give my cat, Nigel, his medication, I
      noticed a 1/4 tablet of his cardizem (heart medication) on the
      living room floor rug. I got really scared.

      I thought, "Was that this morning's dose?! How did it get there?
      Did he spit it out? How did I not notice??!!"

      Has this happened to other people? Was your cat okay? I gave him
      his regular dose last night and this morning, and called the vet
      this morning. The vet on duty said to not double his dose, and to
      continue giving him his regular dosages.

      Is this the advice other people have been given? I am somewhat
      sensitive, as Nigel was diagnosed only 1 1/2 weeks ago....all of
      this is fairly new.

      Also, I try to give him his medication exactly 12 hours apart (8 AM
      and 8 PM). Though last night, I gave it to him 45 minutes early so
      I could make a 7:30 PM showing of Farhenheit 9/11. Though, of
      course, 12 hours apart is best, the cardiologist said at least every
      10 hours, and not more than 14 hours between dosages.

      So, I assume giving it to him 45 minutes early will be okay. Do
      other people have to make medication dosage adjustments sometimes to
      fit their schedules?

      Sarah (the other one)
    • brinkett
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 10, 2004
        > Has this happened to other people? Was your cat okay? I gave him
        > his regular dose last night and this morning, and called the vet
        > this morning. The vet on duty said to not double his dose, and to
        > continue giving him his regular dosages.
        >
        > Is this the advice other people have been given? I am somewhat
        > sensitive, as Nigel was diagnosed only 1 1/2 weeks ago....all of
        > this is fairly new.

        This situation has happened to me and I've received the exact same
        advice. The dose shouldn't be doubled. And one missed dose
        shouldn't cause any problems, though I'd hate to miss a lasix dose
        if I know there is fluid present that we're trying to clear.

        > Also, I try to give him his medication exactly 12 hours apart (8
        AM
        > and 8 PM). Though last night, I gave it to him 45 minutes early
        so
        > I could make a 7:30 PM showing of Farhenheit 9/11. Though, of
        > course, 12 hours apart is best, the cardiologist said at least
        every
        > 10 hours, and not more than 14 hours between dosages.
        >
        > So, I assume giving it to him 45 minutes early will be okay. Do
        > other people have to make medication dosage adjustments sometimes
        > fit their schedules?

        Yes. I work, so I'm okay with doses that have to be given every 12
        hours, but every 8 hours is impossible, and sometimes life does
        intrude like what you mentioned, where you have to leave home (or
        come home) a little earlier or later than usual. When Morag was on
        lasix 3x a day, she didn't get it exactly 8 hours apart. There is
        usually some leeway.

        Sarah.
      • Della Hengel
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 10, 2004
          Sarah,

          This information is based off of human medicine.

          With most medications, you do not double up on the medication if the missed
          dose is discovered more than 1/2 way to the next dose. IE: If you were
          supposed to give it at 8am & 8pm, but around 4pm you found out you'd missed
          the 8am dose, you wouldn't give a dose at 4pm and 8pm, you'd just give the
          dose at 8pm and continue onward as normal.

          If the missed dose is discovered reasonably close to the time it is normally
          given (I'd say within 2-3 hours), then you can give it. Just watch for the
          overlap with the evening dose. Again, if you'd noticed around 10am or 11am
          that the 8am dose had been missed, go ahead and give it, then just continue
          on schedule.

          Della
          (pharmacist)
          Cat Haven, Inc