New member: My cat was diagnosed yesterday with HCD

  • Sarah
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2004
      I am REALLY glad I found this group. My 8 1/2 year cat Nigel got an
      ultrasound of his heart yesterday and was diagnosed with Obstructive
      Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. He also has asthma. I found out about
      his heart disease because he was having trouble breathing. After
      rushing him to the vet, I found out he had fuild in his lungs.

      He is on Salix, diltiazem, and aspirin. After I got him home from
      the vet last night, he was breathing rapidly. I didn't want to take
      him back to emergency if it wasn't necessary as I knew it would
      stress him out even more, and I have already spent $1,200 in 10
      days.

      So, I stayed up all night and measured his breaths per minute. He
      was borderline to go back to the ER at 10 PM (60 to 64 breaths per
      minute). At 3:45 AM, he was down to 48 bpm, and at 6:35 AM, he had
      gotten down to about 36 to 40 bpm (while sleeping). After talking
      to the vet this morning, we decided he is okay for now.

      This is so stressful!!!! After getting no sleep and worrying about
      my best little buddy, I am a totel wreck. This morning, if anyone
      asked me how I was doing, I started crying. At lunch, I went home
      and checked on Nigel and he seemed okay. His BPM rate is a little
      high due to his heart disease. I am crossing my fingers and toes
      that the heart medication allows him more oxygen so that he can
      breathe easier.

      Thank you SO MUCH for listening to me.

      Sarah
    • brinkett
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2004
        Hi,

        I'm sorry to hear about Nigel. I don't know how long he's been on
        Lasix - it takes Lasix a few days to clear the fluid, and then
        hopefully he'll breathe easier.

        About his respiration rate last night - 60-64 breaths per minute is
        high, not borderline. A "wait and see" strategy is risky when it
        comes to a very high respiration rate in a cat with heart disease.
        A good rule of thumb is that once the respiration rate goes above 30
        breaths per minute AT REST, the vet should be called, so you did
        good calling the vet this morning. It's tough in the beginning to
        know when to call, especially when they do have fluid and so a
        higher respiration rate might be expected (though not as high as 60-
        64), but once you've been managing Nigel for a while and have a
        better feel for what's normal for him, you'll know when to phone and
        when it's ok to wait and see. At this stage when it's new, I'd err
        on the side of caution.

        As far as worrying about Nigel when you're at work (and at home),
        everybody has gone through this, especially right after diagnosis.
        Eventually you'll come to terms with it but it's natural to be super
        worried at this point. I know it took me a couple of months to calm
        down and not worry when I was at work. Having said that won't make
        it easier for you right now, but do know that eventually you'll be
        able to get through a work day without thinking about him constantly.

        One more point - you might want to read the group's FAQ. It's in
        the Links section at the group's site. Anyway, you've found a great
        group and we'll all be following Nigel's story now.

        (another) Sarah.