Re: [FH] Pook is a Train Wreck! Anyone with Similar Problems?

  • mainecoonsusa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2004
      Hi Debbie,

      I'm so sorry about your Pook. I don't know if my situation relates at all to
      what is going on with your Pook.... My Connor has HCM and he was being
      treated with atenolol. He then was diagnosed with asthma. You may want to talk to
      your vet about atenolol as it does aggravate asthma. Connor no longer takes
      that medication.

      When we were dealing with the asthma, he began this weird muscle twitching.
      He also developed this terrible rash (like he was having an allergic
      reaction). We were weaning him off of the prednisone at that time too (as that was
      causing him to go into congestive heart failure) as well as weaning him off of
      the atenolol.

      His twitching and the rash went away, eventually. To this day we don't know
      what caused either.

      I also lost my first Maine Coon to chylothorax. He was also put on Rutin to
      try to help. What I was told was that it can be caused by heart disease,
      tumors, tears or simply be idiopathic. In Darby's case, it was idiopathic. Since
      we couldn't find and correct the cause of why the fluid was developing in his
      chest cavity, there wasn't much we could do. Maybe in your case, they can
      find the problem.

      Again, I strongly suggest you look into whether he should continue on
      atenolol and even the pred. Also, check out these two web pages: www.aerokat.com
      and www.fritzthebrave.com for information on asthma. My Connor is on inhaled
      meds to control his and is doing great.

      Best to you --

      JoAnn

      JoAnn & Connor

      1/2 30 mg Diltiazem 2x a day
      1/2 of 2.5 mg Enalalpril daily
      12.5 mg Lasix daily
      low dose enteric coated Aspirin 2x a week for HCM

      1 puff AM, 1 puff PM 110 Flovent for Asthma