Tabby Jean Update, #3 of????

  • sandworm90292
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2004
      Took TJ in today to see if the increased Atenolol dosage(up from 1/4 to 1/2 a pill) would
      control her arrhytmia.

      Bad news, there is no change. Good news: I actually got to speak with Dr. Ettinger, the
      cardiology "god" who edited the "bible" of vet internal medicine. His feeling is that we
      should try the 1/2 pill dose until Friday and if TJ hasn't improved, we can try a different
      beta blocker.

      He said the entire cardiology staff is VERY interested in TJ's case as it is unique to
      anything they have seen. His honest answer is he doesn't know quite what is wrong with
      TJ; the aortic lesion could be caused by any number of things. He doesn't think she
      currently has an infection of the heart as she is NOT displaying any of the symptoms; she
      isn't lethargic, wheezing, etc.

      He doesn't want to make her sick by overprescribing things and wants to treat her
      conservatively. The top priority is controlling the arrhythmia.

      Dr. Barrett is at the cardiology conference this week and she will present TJ's case to the
      conference.

      Dr Ettinger said that they are all very interested in TJ's case, that there is ALWAYS
      someone there, 24 hours in case she has a problem.

      He also said there is a complimentary medicine vet that they work with, but he said that
      is weeks away; first, control the arrhythmia. His honest answer is, right now, they don't
      know exactly what is wrong with TJ, and they may never know. Not comforting, but at least
      I trust he's being straight with me. He can't tell if her problem is acute or chronic.

      We will take her in Friday to see how the 1/2 pill dose of Atenolol works.

      Thanks all for your help, advice, encouragement and support.

      Paul R.

      P.S. Tabby must have known it was vet time. She hid under the bed this morning when it
      was time to go.

      P.P.S. They are very cool at Dr. E's hospital. They didn't charge me for the EKG this time,
      just for the office visit. I think these folks really care.