Moomoo

  • amy brightfield
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2004
      Hello everyone:

      My little black and tan tabby, moomoo, just passed
      away this past Sunday from severe heart disease. She
      was just eight years old. I wanted to tell you her
      story in hopes that you all may glean some new
      information about heart disease.
      She was diagnosed with arrhythmic right ventricular
      cardiomyopathy. What basically happened was that she
      had what the cardiologist thinks was a heart attack
      last Monday night. This caused an arrhythmia. She
      never had any problems before this; I took her to a
      yearly check-up and the vet never detected anything
      abnormal. (Although now I tend to think maybe she
      missed something?)

      She survived the h. attack on Monday night. THey did
      bloodwork on her Tues. and an echocardiogram on
      Wednesday which reported right and left ventricle
      dilation; some thickening on the left wall and the
      arrhythmia. That vet sent Moomoo home with diltiazem
      (a calcium channel blocker) and told me she could live
      up to five years.

      I wasn't keen on how this vet center had treated her,
      so I took her to another cardiologist on Thursday who
      did another EKG and an echo. She came in and told me
      that Moomoo might only have days to live. I was in
      total shock. Here I had just come from the other vet
      who told me it might be years and that she didn't have
      to come back for another echo for six months! But this
      new cardiologist was definitely much smarter.
      She explained to me that because Moomoo had so much
      wrong with her heart; the dilation of the ventricles,
      the thickening of the wall and the arrhythmia --- that
      her condition was very hard to treat. Because of the
      arrhythmia, she was at high risk for sudden cardiac
      death and/or throwing a clot at any time. That's why
      her prognosis was so poor.
      But she did send Moomoo home with medicine --
      Enapapril (Sp?) and also instructed me to give her 81
      mg of aspirin every three days. She said she hoped
      that Moomoo would recover from the heart attack and
      that the medicine would help improve her heart's
      functioning.
      We gave her the aspirin and heart medicine thursday
      night and she ate a very small amount. That was the
      last time she really ate anything. I called the
      cardiologist on Sat morning and she prescribed an
      appetite stimulant, but told me that if Moomoo didn't
      start eating by Sunday am that we should put a feeding
      tube in because cats can develop liver disease if they
      don't eat for just two-three days.
      Moomoo was extremely lethargic and not herself at all;
      she hadn't meowed since the Monday night episode when
      she was meowing in pain.

      We ended up putting the feeding tube in sunday am,
      took her home and gave her two feedings. This just
      broke our hearts to see her with the collar she had to
      wear to make sure she didn't rip the tube out. But I
      felt like if we were going to give her every chance to
      live, we had to try the feeding tube or else another
      fatal problem --- the liver disease -- would develop.
      Sunday night she had an episode of open-mouth
      breathing and we rushed her to the emergency room
      where she went into cardiac arrest.
      I spoke to the cardiologist this week and she said she
      thinks that Moomoo's heart just couldn't recover from
      the heart attack last Monday as she had hoped it might
      and it eventually spiraled into a fatal arrhythmia
      which caused the cardiac arrest.

      From everything I've read, it doesn't seem like
      catching this condition early would have improved her
      prognosis much. But she didn't just have the HCM --
      she had all of these other things going on.

      Has anyone else heard of this? Could the thickening of
      the walls lead to a heart attack? Is a murmur often
      NOT detected until heart disease has already
      progressed?

      Thank you for reading moomoo's story. We miss her
      dearly. She was a sweet, affectionate cat.

      Amy

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/Zh0wlB/TM

      > http://messenger.yahoo.com/

      http://messenger.yahoo.com/
    • Linda Fischbach
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2004
        Susan, thanks for this info. Mittens was diagnosed with mild HCM in Dec
        2001, and prescribed atenolol. His heart improved in the next 4 months,
        then stayed constant until Jan 2004 when he had fluids in his chest, and the
        cardiologist (a different one since our regular cardiologist wasn't there)
        said his heart had deterioated significantly. Enalapril (an Ace
        Inhibitor) and Lasix were added to his meds. At his recheck in April (I
        was expecting the worse) we were pleased to hear the cardiologist keep
        saying "looking good" as he did the ultrasound. Mittens' heart is back to
        where it was a year ago; the cardiologist has no idea what caused the
        problem in January. But maybe the added meds did the trick.

        Linda

        > Can you tell us if Spazz is on an ACE-inhibitor? If so
        > is he also on lasix?
        >
        > The reason I ask is because there is one cardiologist
        > (Rush) who has reported improvement he has attributed
        > to an ACE-inhibitor.
        >
        > "A recent report by Rush, et al. demonstrated a
        > reduction in wall thickness with the administration of
        > enalapril to cats with HCM. This suggests a potential
        > role for ACE-inhibitors in the treatment of HCM.
        > These drugs are generally safe and do play a role in
        > cases which are refractory or in which pleural
        > effusion is present. In asymptomatic patients, it is
        > logical that the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system
        > is not pathologically activated, and hence
        > ACE-inhibitors would not be useful. The study
        > referred to argues that they may play a role, however.
        > Further studies are being planned."
        >
        > Susan
      • brinkett
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2004
          Hi,

          I'm sorry to hear about Moomoo. Thickening of the walls can
          definitely lead to heart failure, in fact, thickened walls is one of
          the primary characteristics of a common form of heart disease called
          HCM (hyptertrophic cardiomyopathy).

          It is indeed possible that a cat may suddenly die or decline rapidly
          when no previous symptoms have been detected. Cats are really good
          at hiding symptoms, and while heart murmurs or gallop rhythms are
          usually heard, it is possible to have heart disease without a murmur
          or gallop rhythm being evident.

          As far as the two vets predicting life expectancy, this is very
          difficult to do. We have cats who join the group and die within a
          few days, and other cats who have been given a death sentence and
          who astound the experts by living much longer than they were
          expected to.

          You were obviously a very diligent and loving owner and did
          everything possible, including seeking a second opinion.

          Take care,
          Sarah.

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, amy brightfield

        • Susan
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2004
            --- Linda Fischbach <fischbl@...> wrote:
            > Susan, thanks for this info. Mittens was diagnosed
            > with mild HCM in Dec
            > 2001, and prescribed atenolol. His heart improved
            > in the next 4 months,
            > then stayed constant until Jan 2004 when he had
            > fluids in his chest, and the
            > cardiologist (a different one since our regular
            > cardiologist wasn't there)
            > said his heart had deterioated significantly.
            > Enalapril (an Ace
            > Inhibitor) and Lasix were added to his meds. At
            > his recheck in April (I
            > was expecting the worse) we were pleased to hear the
            > cardiologist keep
            > saying "looking good" as he did the ultrasound.
            > Mittens' heart is back to
            > where it was a year ago; the cardiologist has no
            > idea what caused the
            > problem in January. But maybe the added meds did
            > the trick.
            >
            > Linda

            Linda,

            While it is certainly only anecdotal evidence it is
            heartening. I think when Dr. Atkins and others such as
            Bonagura are expressing skepticism at Dr. Rush's
            report is because until a cat has reached a point
            where the Renin Angiotensis system (RAS) is activated
            the rationale for the ACE-inhibitor is not there. I
            think Dr. Atkins does not believe that an
            ACE-inhibitor can prevent renodeling and hypertrophy
            before the point when the RAS gets activated. In other
            words they do not think an ACE-inhibitor is indicated
            for asymptomatic patients.

            The way I understand RAS, is that if the kidneys
            "think" the body is losing pressure because they think
            the body is bleeding even though the loss of pressure
            is due to heart disease and not bleeding, it initiates
            the RAS so that the body has a better chance of
            surviving the bleeding. This is good if you are
            bleeding, very bad if you are not and the RAS
            activation is bad for the heart if it chronic as it is
            in CHF.

            The other thing that goes on in CHF that is bad for
            the heart is the Sympathetic Nervous System (SNS) AKA
            "flight or fight" gets activated. This is good if a
            predator is chasing you, bad for the heart if it is
            chronic as it is in CHF.

            If anyone is interested in reading up on the
            ACE-inhibitor trial, it was called SOLVD (Studies Of
            Left Ventricular Dysfunction)

            Early Treatment with Enalapril Prevents Heart Failure
            and Myocardial Infarction and Improves Long-term
            Survival in Patients with Asymptomatic LVD: XSOLVD

            http://www.mednet.ca/html/pp03-091-3.htm

            Susan

            http://messenger.yahoo.com/