great news about Spazz

  • Morticia
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2004
      Good Morning All,

      Just wanted to give you the great news we got yesterday. Spazz went
      in for his 6 month check up, and his heart has improved :-)
      The chamber on the left that was holding the blood in is now pumping
      the blood out more like it supposed to. Dr. Mark, did tell me that
      he is still a very sick little boy, but that he is very optimistic
      on his condition as it is now. The heart walls that had started to
      thicken has now thinned out slightly. What wonderful news to get on
      such a beautiful Maine day.
      I went in only hoping for nothing more then to be told that his
      heart hadnt gotten any worse, never hoped for anything more then
      that. But when he came out and give me this news, I literally got
      goosebumps all over my body. I can not describe my happiness right
      now. I also feel kind of guilty for having such great news, when I
      have been reading so many posts lately of so many of you losing your
      beloved babies.
      I will keep all of you and your babies, here and the angels in my
      prayers, and in my heart. Thank you all for the information I have
      gotten to help me understand this horrible disease better. I can not
      imagine if I had not found this site.
      God bless everyone and their wonderful furbabies.

      Your Friends,
      Morticia & Spazz
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2004
        Great news Morticia,

        Can you tell us if Spazz is on an ACE-inhibitor? If so
        is he also on lasix?

        The reason I ask is because there is one cardiologist
        (Rush) who has reported improvement he has attributed
        to an ACE-inhibitor.

        "A recent report by Rush, et al. demonstrated a
        reduction in wall thickness with the administration of
        enalapril to cats with HCM. This suggests a potential
        role for ACE-inhibitors in the treatment of HCM.
        These drugs are generally safe and do play a role in
        cases which are refractory or in which pleural
        effusion is present. In asymptomatic patients, it is
        logical that the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system
        is not pathologically activated, and hence
        ACE-inhibitors would not be useful. The study
        referred to argues that they may play a role, however.
        Further studies are being planned."

        Susan

        --- Morticia <morticiaw666@...> wrote:
        > Good Morning All,
        >

        > Just wanted to give you the great news we got
        > yesterday. Spazz went
        > in for his 6 month check up, and his heart has
        > improved :-)
        > The chamber on the left that was holding the blood
        > in is now pumping
        > the blood out more like it supposed to. Dr. Mark,
        > did tell me that
        > he is still a very sick little boy, but that he is
        > very optimistic
        > on his condition as it is now. The heart walls that
        > had started to
        > thicken has now thinned out slightly. What wonderful
        > news to get on
        > such a beautiful Maine day.
        > I went in only hoping for nothing more then to be
        > told that his
        > heart hadnt gotten any worse, never hoped for
        > anything more then
        > that. But when he came out and give me this news, I
        > literally got
        > goosebumps all over my body. I can not describe my
        > happiness right
        > now. I also feel kind of guilty for having such
        > great news, when I
        > have been reading so many posts lately of so many of
        > you losing your
        > beloved babies.
        > I will keep all of you and your babies, here and the
        > angels in my
        > prayers, and in my heart. Thank you all for the
        > information I have
        > gotten to help me understand this horrible disease
        > better. I can not
        > imagine if I had not found this site.
        > God bless everyone and their wonderful furbabies.
        >

        > Your Friends,
        > Morticia & Spazz

        > --------------------~-->

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/Zh0wlB/TM

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/
      • amy brightfield
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2004
          Hello everyone:

          My little black and tan tabby, moomoo, just passed
          away this past Sunday from severe heart disease. She
          was just eight years old. I wanted to tell you her
          story in hopes that you all may glean some new
          information about heart disease.
          She was diagnosed with arrhythmic right ventricular
          cardiomyopathy. What basically happened was that she
          had what the cardiologist thinks was a heart attack
          last Monday night. This caused an arrhythmia. She
          never had any problems before this; I took her to a
          yearly check-up and the vet never detected anything
          abnormal. (Although now I tend to think maybe she
          missed something?)

          She survived the h. attack on Monday night. THey did
          bloodwork on her Tues. and an echocardiogram on
          Wednesday which reported right and left ventricle
          dilation; some thickening on the left wall and the
          arrhythmia. That vet sent Moomoo home with diltiazem
          (a calcium channel blocker) and told me she could live
          up to five years.

          I wasn't keen on how this vet center had treated her,
          so I took her to another cardiologist on Thursday who
          did another EKG and an echo. She came in and told me
          that Moomoo might only have days to live. I was in
          total shock. Here I had just come from the other vet
          who told me it might be years and that she didn't have
          to come back for another echo for six months! But this
          new cardiologist was definitely much smarter.
          She explained to me that because Moomoo had so much
          wrong with her heart; the dilation of the ventricles,
          the thickening of the wall and the arrhythmia --- that
          her condition was very hard to treat. Because of the
          arrhythmia, she was at high risk for sudden cardiac
          death and/or throwing a clot at any time. That's why
          her prognosis was so poor.
          But she did send Moomoo home with medicine --
          Enapapril (Sp?) and also instructed me to give her 81
          mg of aspirin every three days. She said she hoped
          that Moomoo would recover from the heart attack and
          that the medicine would help improve her heart's
          functioning.
          We gave her the aspirin and heart medicine thursday
          night and she ate a very small amount. That was the
          last time she really ate anything. I called the
          cardiologist on Sat morning and she prescribed an
          appetite stimulant, but told me that if Moomoo didn't
          start eating by Sunday am that we should put a feeding
          tube in because cats can develop liver disease if they
          don't eat for just two-three days.
          Moomoo was extremely lethargic and not herself at all;
          she hadn't meowed since the Monday night episode when
          she was meowing in pain.

          We ended up putting the feeding tube in sunday am,
          took her home and gave her two feedings. This just
          broke our hearts to see her with the collar she had to
          wear to make sure she didn't rip the tube out. But I
          felt like if we were going to give her every chance to
          live, we had to try the feeding tube or else another
          fatal problem --- the liver disease -- would develop.
          Sunday night she had an episode of open-mouth
          breathing and we rushed her to the emergency room
          where she went into cardiac arrest.
          I spoke to the cardiologist this week and she said she
          thinks that Moomoo's heart just couldn't recover from
          the heart attack last Monday as she had hoped it might
          and it eventually spiraled into a fatal arrhythmia
          which caused the cardiac arrest.

          From everything I've read, it doesn't seem like
          catching this condition early would have improved her
          prognosis much. But she didn't just have the HCM --
          she had all of these other things going on.

          Has anyone else heard of this? Could the thickening of
          the walls lead to a heart attack? Is a murmur often
          NOT detected until heart disease has already
          progressed?

          Thank you for reading moomoo's story. We miss her
          dearly. She was a sweet, affectionate cat.

          Amy

          http://messenger.yahoo.com/
        • Linda Fischbach
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2004
            Susan, thanks for this info. Mittens was diagnosed with mild HCM in Dec
            2001, and prescribed atenolol. His heart improved in the next 4 months,
            then stayed constant until Jan 2004 when he had fluids in his chest, and the
            cardiologist (a different one since our regular cardiologist wasn't there)
            said his heart had deterioated significantly. Enalapril (an Ace
            Inhibitor) and Lasix were added to his meds. At his recheck in April (I
            was expecting the worse) we were pleased to hear the cardiologist keep
            saying "looking good" as he did the ultrasound. Mittens' heart is back to
            where it was a year ago; the cardiologist has no idea what caused the
            problem in January. But maybe the added meds did the trick.

            Linda

            > Can you tell us if Spazz is on an ACE-inhibitor? If so
            > is he also on lasix?
            >
            > The reason I ask is because there is one cardiologist
            > (Rush) who has reported improvement he has attributed
            > to an ACE-inhibitor.
            >
            > "A recent report by Rush, et al. demonstrated a
            > reduction in wall thickness with the administration of
            > enalapril to cats with HCM. This suggests a potential
            > role for ACE-inhibitors in the treatment of HCM.
            > These drugs are generally safe and do play a role in
            > cases which are refractory or in which pleural
            > effusion is present. In asymptomatic patients, it is
            > logical that the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system
            > is not pathologically activated, and hence
            > ACE-inhibitors would not be useful. The study
            > referred to argues that they may play a role, however.
            > Further studies are being planned."
            >
            > Susan
          • brinkett
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4, 2004
              Hi,

              I'm sorry to hear about Moomoo. Thickening of the walls can
              definitely lead to heart failure, in fact, thickened walls is one of
              the primary characteristics of a common form of heart disease called
              HCM (hyptertrophic cardiomyopathy).

              It is indeed possible that a cat may suddenly die or decline rapidly
              when no previous symptoms have been detected. Cats are really good
              at hiding symptoms, and while heart murmurs or gallop rhythms are
              usually heard, it is possible to have heart disease without a murmur
              or gallop rhythm being evident.

              As far as the two vets predicting life expectancy, this is very
              difficult to do. We have cats who join the group and die within a
              few days, and other cats who have been given a death sentence and
              who astound the experts by living much longer than they were
              expected to.

              You were obviously a very diligent and loving owner and did
              everything possible, including seeking a second opinion.

              Take care,
              Sarah.

              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, amy brightfield

            • Susan
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4, 2004
                --- Linda Fischbach <fischbl@...> wrote:
                > Susan, thanks for this info. Mittens was diagnosed
                > with mild HCM in Dec
                > 2001, and prescribed atenolol. His heart improved
                > in the next 4 months,
                > then stayed constant until Jan 2004 when he had
                > fluids in his chest, and the
                > cardiologist (a different one since our regular
                > cardiologist wasn't there)
                > said his heart had deterioated significantly.
                > Enalapril (an Ace
                > Inhibitor) and Lasix were added to his meds. At
                > his recheck in April (I
                > was expecting the worse) we were pleased to hear the
                > cardiologist keep
                > saying "looking good" as he did the ultrasound.
                > Mittens' heart is back to
                > where it was a year ago; the cardiologist has no
                > idea what caused the
                > problem in January. But maybe the added meds did
                > the trick.
                >
                > Linda

                Linda,

                While it is certainly only anecdotal evidence it is
                heartening. I think when Dr. Atkins and others such as
                Bonagura are expressing skepticism at Dr. Rush's
                report is because until a cat has reached a point
                where the Renin Angiotensis system (RAS) is activated
                the rationale for the ACE-inhibitor is not there. I
                think Dr. Atkins does not believe that an
                ACE-inhibitor can prevent renodeling and hypertrophy
                before the point when the RAS gets activated. In other
                words they do not think an ACE-inhibitor is indicated
                for asymptomatic patients.

                The way I understand RAS, is that if the kidneys
                "think" the body is losing pressure because they think
                the body is bleeding even though the loss of pressure
                is due to heart disease and not bleeding, it initiates
                the RAS so that the body has a better chance of
                surviving the bleeding. This is good if you are
                bleeding, very bad if you are not and the RAS
                activation is bad for the heart if it chronic as it is
                in CHF.

                The other thing that goes on in CHF that is bad for
                the heart is the Sympathetic Nervous System (SNS) AKA
                "flight or fight" gets activated. This is good if a
                predator is chasing you, bad for the heart if it is
                chronic as it is in CHF.

                If anyone is interested in reading up on the
                ACE-inhibitor trial, it was called SOLVD (Studies Of
                Left Ventricular Dysfunction)

                Early Treatment with Enalapril Prevents Heart Failure
                and Myocardial Infarction and Improves Long-term
                Survival in Patients with Asymptomatic LVD: XSOLVD

                http://www.mednet.ca/html/pp03-091-3.htm

                Susan

                http://messenger.yahoo.com/