Latest on Tabby Jean

  • sandworm90292
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2004
      Hello and MEOOWWW folks,

      Spoke with Dr. B, TJ's cardiologist. She brought up the subject of at some point starting TJ
      on anti-biotics. TJ has slight thickening of two of her heart valves, which COULD be caused
      by bacterial infection.

      Dr. B says in 12 years of veternary cardiology she has never seen a case like Tabby's. She
      is showing odd symptoms of a combination of different kinds of HCM.

      Her left ventricle is 40% enlarged, yet there is almost NO thickening of the heart walls.
      She does NOT have dilated CM. The slight leak in her mitrial valve is also very rare.

      I had an odd theory that I want to throw to the group: what if the entire problem is the
      result of a bacterial infection in the heart and the different kinds of heart tissue respond
      differently? The valves thicken, but other parts of the heart get inflammed in response and
      that inflammation LOOKS like "growth". As a result of the inflammation, the heart has to
      work harder and THIS causes the arrhythmia.

      I remember a few years back, an MD came up with the theory that stomach ulcers are
      caused by a bacteria and he was ridiculed for years by the medical establishment until he
      proved his case with overwhelming evidence. I just wonder if some of the more
      "idiopathic" CM are really bacterial infections that manifest in different ways depending on
      what parts of the heart they infect.

      MEOW and good night from Tabby and Tazzleberry Marie(the CURTAIN CLIMBER!!!)
    • brinkett
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2004
        > I had an odd theory that I want to throw to the group: what if
        the entire problem is the
        > result of a bacterial infection in the heart and the different
        kinds of heart tissue respond
        > differently?

        Actually, this isn't an odd or new theory. Endomyocarditis is on
        the list of possibilities of what might be the trigger/cause of RCM.

        Sarah.
      • Susan
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2004
          --- sandworm90292 <erosla77@...> wrote:

          > I had an odd theory that I want to throw to the
          > group: what if the entire problem is the
          > result of a bacterial infection in the heart and the
          > different kinds of heart tissue respond
          > differently? The valves thicken, but other parts of
          > the heart get inflammed in response and
          > that inflammation LOOKS like "growth". As a result
          > of the inflammation, the heart has to
          > work harder and THIS causes the arrhythmia.

          That does happen but usually to individuals who have
          something abnormal in the heart for bacteria to grow
          on and then have bacteria introduced to the blood
          stream when there is a dental procedure. For instance
          my mother had scarlet fever as a child and developed a
          murmur. She also has mitral valve prolapse. She takes
          antibiotics before going to the dentist as a
          prophalaxis. She takes Coumadin for the MVP.

          A few years ago the Cincinnati Zoo lost a gorilla
          after a dental procedure.

          Susan

          http://messenger.yahoo.com/