Question about B complex

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2004
      Hi everyone,
      Hope all is well with your kitties.

      I was reading the CRF support board, and someone raised the question about B
      vitamins, I also have a question.
      I posted this on that board, but also wanted to post it here at the heart board.
      I know B vitamins is good for CRF cats, but as most of you know, Gremmi has
      HCM/CRF/CHF and Hyper Thyroid. Also, she is dealing with blood clots and
      inflammation. She is on a lot of different pills.
      I failed to mention this on the CRF board, and got to thinking that maybe the B complex
      is interfering with her heart condition or drugs that she is on, below is what I posted.

      I bought a bottle of B complex from my vet to put into my cat's LRS bag.
      The suggested dosage per bag is 1 ml/cc.
      I have noticed that Gremmi doesn't do very well after giving her 100ml per day of the
      LRS w/B complex.
      I know that this is suppose to be water soluble, and this should not have any side
      effects. It should be a good thing for her.

      But I have alternated bags with and without the B complex.
      And even just alternated days with and without it.
      I have been trying this on her for the last 6 weeks.
      And I do see a difference in her.
      She does NOT do well with the B complex.

      Any reasons why this could be???

      She tends to absorb the fluids faster, urinate less, and she isn't as active, nor is her
      appetite any better, tends to decline.
      The B complex seems to have the opposite effect on her then what they claim should
      be the normal result for most kitties.
      Like better appetite and more energy.....

      I don't understand why, any clues???

      Thanks, and BTW, Gremmi's "20th" Birthday is tomorrow........
      We didn't think we would make it, since back in October she had her first bout with CHF
      and almost lost her many times since.
      I prayed that all I wanted was for her to make it to her 20th birthday.
      She hasn't been feeling well the last couple of days,
      I just hope for more days.
      I realize that we need to watch what we ask for, you may just get it.
      And by that, I mean, I hope she isn't losing the battle so close to her B'day.
      And yes, I am worried about the little girl today.
      So I am wondering if maybe it could have something to do with the B complex.
      Thanks again,
      Susan and Gremmi Lyn

      Below is the type of B complex that I bought, I was trying to get more info, but this is
      all the website had to say, and this is all it says on the bottle also.
      HTH

      VITAMIN B COMPLEX
      100 mL - 250 mL - 500 mL
      INDICATIONS: An aqueous solution of B-Vitamins to provide a supplemental nutritional
      supply of these vitamins and Complexed Cobalt to cattle, sheep and swine.
      DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION: Administer intramuscularly. Sheep and Swine: 5 to 10
      mL. Cattle: 10 to 20 mL. Repeat daily as indicated.
      COMPOSITION: Each mL contains:
      Thiamine HCl - 12.5 mg, Pyridoxine HCl - 5 mg, Riboflavin 5' Phosphate Sodium - 2 mg,
      Cobalt (as Cyanocobalamin) - 0.2 ppm, Niacinamide - 12.5 mg, d-Panthenol - 5 mg,
      Benzyl Alcohol (preservative) - 1.5% and Water For Injection - q.
    • Deena
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2004
        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Susan" <gremmilyn@y...> wrote:
        > I know B vitamins is good for CRF cats, but as most of you know,
        Gremmi has HCM/CRF/CHF and Hyper Thyroid. I have noticed that
        Gremmi doesn't do very well after giving her B complex. I know that
        this is suppose to be water soluble, and this should not have any
        side effects. It should be a good thing for her. The B complex
        seems to have the opposite effect on her then what they claim should
        be the normal result for most kitties.
        I don't understand why, any clues???

        First, a huge congratulations on Gremmi's b'day. What an amazing
        kitty she is, and what an incredible mommy she has.

        Reading this post, I'm wondering if you've just had your
        first "ahhh" moment with holistic theory: treat the individual cat
        rather than a using a blanket protocol.

        There is no scientific reason why a B-vitamin complex would cause
        problems, in my opinion. They are water soluable and whatever her
        body doesn't need will just get peed out. They are considered safe
        and many times indicated to replace the nutrients that the stress of
        fighting multiple diseases drains the body of. But you are so in
        tune with Gremmi, that you were able to observe subtle differences
        and considered the B Complex might be the problem.

        I saw this several times when treating Mr Pepe with both
        conventional and holistic medicine. We had several situations where
        things commonly thought safe were causing harm and things commonly
        thought dangerous actually helped. My vet was shocked when he
        tested so poorly to fish oil which is pretty universally considered
        beneficial for his type of HCM. On the flip side, she was shocked
        how well he responded to garlic which is usually a big no-no. This
        is how I learned the importance of working with a qualified vet who
        could actually figure this stuff out. I would have never considered
        that fish oil was bad and garlic good. But for his individual
        situation...they were, and he proved this to me by beating the odds
        when cardiologists said it was impossible.

        I hope she's doing better and I hope you made her a huge birthday
        cake.

        Deena