Re: [FH] My Mystic

  • Cath
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1 4:21 PM
      -
      Hi Bill

      I wasn't trying to be unfair. This was an ER vet, not my vet. Even
      after I asked about heart disease and he said she was too young, he
      never once brought it up again. He kept harping on about tylenol
      poisoning or FIV/FeLV. Once he dismissed heart disease, it was a
      done subject with him. I realize that he was "trying", but, at that
      moment in time I was a total basket case - my beautiful cat was dying
      at that very minute. I personally thought it incredulous that once I
      said no, she couldn't have gotten into tylenol, hit by a car, kicked,
      etc, he would have continued on a different avenue........ her heart
      perhaps. Seriously, he mentioned her nails and said she was
      apparently not an outdoor cat at least 5 times. Again, I wasn't in
      the best possible frame of mind right then, but, the scenerio plays
      over and over in my mind. She was too far gone by the time I found
      her to save her, but, maybe I'm being selfish, but, I would have
      liked some answers - or at least a semblance of one. This vet was
      also much much older than the vet I use....

      Thank you for your information on the kits. I will talk to my vet
      and find out about a feline cardiologist in my area. :)

      Cathy and the ever growing herd in FL

      > -- now that's not fair. with the power of hindsight, those
      questions may be silly. but you have to realize that as doctors we
      have to make a list of differential diagnoses in our heads given the
      presenting signs. those questions he was asking were to cross
      diseases off of that list in his head.

      > - "I even asked about CHF, and he said he was too young to have
      these types of heart problems"
      > -- that wasn't a good answer from him. but, in his defense, the
      mean age for HCM is about 5 years and 87% of cases are male. but,
      the fact is, all ages, sexes, and breeds can get HCM; and he
      definitely should have considered it.

      > - "And, I also read that HCM can strike in families. So, I have 4
      6wk old kittens to raise. At what age do I get them tested?"
      > -- the current thinking is that HCM is hereditary on some level
      (mostly because there is NO other explanation for it). you will
      definitely want to have the kittens checked out. radiography is
      unreliable, you need to have and echocardiogram of each heart to rule
      out HCM. contact your nearest boarded cardiologist to find out what
      age they suggest.

      > bill
      > dvm in 2005

      HCM
      > when she was 2.5 yrs. She even brought that up to the vet. He
      said
      > that it was rare for a young cat to get that...... JEEEEEEEZ I
      did
      > all kinds of internet research that night, and found many
      informative
      > sites re: HCM, and she had so many of the symptoms!
      >
      > A little background on Mystic. I do cat rescue, and she was
      pulled
      > from a very hideous shelter 5 weeks ago this past Saturday, with
      4
      > newborn kittens. These babies are now 6 weeks old today. When I
      > first brought her home, she panted a couple of times, but, I do
      know
      > that cats pant when stressed, so, I didnt give it much thought
      except
      > to comfort her. But, from what Ive now read, she was trying to
      take
      > in more oxygen :( But, she had no episodes. She played and ate
      very
      > well, and took care of the growing kittens. Nothing seemed amiss
      til
      > I found her sunday morning, very near death. The guilt is
      killing me.
      > And, I also read that HCM can strike in families. So, I have 4
      6wk
      > old kittens to raise. At what age do I get them tested? Will a
      > simple xray show anything? I need advice.
      >
      > Thank you for being here, and thank you Joann for telling me
      about
      > this group
      >
      > Cathy and the ever growing herd in FL
      >

      > Your reply will go to the author of this message. If you feel
      your reply will benefit the entire group, please change the "To:"
      line to feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Service.

    • Cath
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1 4:31 PM
        Thank you Diane

        Unfortunately, this was an ER vet - not one I have ever seen before
        at that particular clinic, in the times I have had to use their
        services. Being early on a sunday morning, it's the "take what you
        can get" thing :(

        I miss the sweet Mystic more than I can say. The kittens are doing
        ok, and I am supplementing them with KMR, as they have been eating
        solid food for almost 2 weeks now. But, it's the comfort nursing and
        the tender care of their mom that they miss most. One of my young
        males has proven to be an excellent "uncle", and since Sunday, has
        kept them clean and provided them with cuddles - he is even allowing
        them to suckle, of course, once they figure out the spigot is dry,
        they stop LOL. It's good for them, and good for him. I believe Kain
        will be a tremendous asset in the raising of these kits.

        Cathy and the ever growing herd in FL

        > I agree. Kearra had a very faint murmur that actually went away
        over
        > time, and was gone for at least 2-3 years before her death. If the
        > vet had never caught the murmur early, we would have never treated
        > her and keep up with the ultrasounds. It's really the only way to
        > tell.
        >
        > You may want to look into other vets as well. :-/
        >
        > I'm very sorry about Mystic, you are an angel for taking in her and
        > her kittens.
        >

        > Diane
      • diane
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1 4:43 PM
          I don't know if she's still here, but there was someone who faced a
          similar situation with littermates, and had them all tested. I belive
          she managed to get a good deal from a vet to do them all. I also
          believe she was from down under.

          Anyone remember more?

          Diane
        • diane
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1 4:56 PM
            At 11:31 PM +0000 6/1/04, Cath wrote:
            >Thank you Diane
            >
            >Unfortunately, this was an ER vet - not one I have ever seen before
            >at that particular clinic, in the times I have had to use their
            >services. Being early on a sunday morning, it's the "take what you
            >can get" thing :( \

            I agree! I once opted for surgery on my first cat and it didn't go
            well. It was at a different vet, although it was recommended by our
            vet. I had never gone through this before, I didn't feel the vet had
            good people skills although he seemed fine with Tiger, and I made
            assumptions based on what I was familiar with. Needless to say, I had
            visted Tiger to bring her home on Saturday morning, it didn't go well
            so I left her there (again), and had no idea that they performed such
            surgeries with no 24 hour care. I got a call at 11am Sunday to say
            she hadn't made the night and was furious that no one checked in for
            such a long period of time. Lesson learned. :(

            You remind me that I really need to place phone numbers & directions
            to both emergency vets by the phones. We do have a vet close by that
            I tried to go to when a neighborhood cat was hit by a car, but they
            closed at 6 and I couldn't get a cell signal in their parking lot.

            It's so hard when you're in panic mode to figure out the right thing to do!

            >I miss the sweet Mystic more than I can say.

            No doubt! I'm sure we can all relate to that. :(

            >The kittens are doing
            >ok, and I am supplementing them with KMR, as they have been eating
            >solid food for almost 2 weeks now. But, it's the comfort nursing and
            >the tender care of their mom that they miss most. One of my young
            >males has proven to be an excellent "uncle", and since Sunday, has
            >kept them clean and provided them with cuddles - he is even allowing
            >them to suckle, of course, once they figure out the spigot is dry,
            >they stop LOL. It's good for them, and good for him. I believe Kain
            >will be a tremendous asset in the raising of these kits.

            Hats off to Kain! Sounds like you have an angel herd, as well as yourself. ;)

            Diane
          • Linda Fischbach
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 1 5:13 PM
              That may have been Catherine (in Australia) who has a Mom and 4 (?) kittens
              with heart problems. She posted here a little while ago.

              Linda

              > I don't know if she's still here, but there was someone who faced a
              > similar situation with littermates, and had them all tested. I belive
              > she managed to get a good deal from a vet to do them all. I also
              > believe she was from down under.
              >
              > Anyone remember more?
              >

              > Diane

              feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • diane
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 1 5:18 PM
                See? I was going to say Cathy but it was just too weird for both to
                have the same name. :)

                Diane