Re: [FH] My Mystic

  • William Draper
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2004
      - "He had done a thoracentisis and pulled fluid, and
      suggested a pneumothorax... asked idiotic question like "did she
      sneak out and maybe get hit by a car? Did she get into antifreeze or
      tylenol? Did someone kick her?" and on and on."
      -- now that's not fair. with the power of hindsight, those questions may be silly. but you have to realize that as doctors we have to make a list of differential diagnoses in our heads given the presenting signs. those questions he was asking were to cross diseases off of that list in his head.

      - "I even asked about CHF, and he said he was too young to have these types of heart problems"
      -- that wasn't a good answer from him. but, in his defense, the mean age for HCM is about 5 years and 87% of cases are male. but, the fact is, all ages, sexes, and breeds can get HCM; and he definitely should have considered it.

      - "And, I also read that HCM can strike in families. So, I have 4 6wk old kittens to raise. At what age do I get them tested?"
      -- the current thinking is that HCM is hereditary on some level (mostly because there is NO other explanation for it). you will definitely want to have the kittens checked out. radiography is unreliable, you need to have and echocardiogram of each heart to rule out HCM. contact your nearest boarded cardiologist to find out what age they suggest.

      bill
      dvm in 2005
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2004
        -
        Hi Bill

        I wasn't trying to be unfair. This was an ER vet, not my vet. Even
        after I asked about heart disease and he said she was too young, he
        never once brought it up again. He kept harping on about tylenol
        poisoning or FIV/FeLV. Once he dismissed heart disease, it was a
        done subject with him. I realize that he was "trying", but, at that
        moment in time I was a total basket case - my beautiful cat was dying
        at that very minute. I personally thought it incredulous that once I
        said no, she couldn't have gotten into tylenol, hit by a car, kicked,
        etc, he would have continued on a different avenue........ her heart
        perhaps. Seriously, he mentioned her nails and said she was
        apparently not an outdoor cat at least 5 times. Again, I wasn't in
        the best possible frame of mind right then, but, the scenerio plays
        over and over in my mind. She was too far gone by the time I found
        her to save her, but, maybe I'm being selfish, but, I would have
        liked some answers - or at least a semblance of one. This vet was
        also much much older than the vet I use....

        Thank you for your information on the kits. I will talk to my vet
        and find out about a feline cardiologist in my area. :)

        Cathy and the ever growing herd in FL

        > -- now that's not fair. with the power of hindsight, those
        questions may be silly. but you have to realize that as doctors we
        have to make a list of differential diagnoses in our heads given the
        presenting signs. those questions he was asking were to cross
        diseases off of that list in his head.

        > - "I even asked about CHF, and he said he was too young to have
        these types of heart problems"
        > -- that wasn't a good answer from him. but, in his defense, the
        mean age for HCM is about 5 years and 87% of cases are male. but,
        the fact is, all ages, sexes, and breeds can get HCM; and he
        definitely should have considered it.

        > - "And, I also read that HCM can strike in families. So, I have 4
        6wk old kittens to raise. At what age do I get them tested?"
        > -- the current thinking is that HCM is hereditary on some level
        (mostly because there is NO other explanation for it). you will
        definitely want to have the kittens checked out. radiography is
        unreliable, you need to have and echocardiogram of each heart to rule
        out HCM. contact your nearest boarded cardiologist to find out what
        age they suggest.

        > bill
        > dvm in 2005

        your reply will benefit the entire group, please change the "To:"
        line to feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Service.

      • Cath
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2004
          Thank you Diane

          Unfortunately, this was an ER vet - not one I have ever seen before
          at that particular clinic, in the times I have had to use their
          services. Being early on a sunday morning, it's the "take what you
          can get" thing :(

          I miss the sweet Mystic more than I can say. The kittens are doing
          ok, and I am supplementing them with KMR, as they have been eating
          solid food for almost 2 weeks now. But, it's the comfort nursing and
          the tender care of their mom that they miss most. One of my young
          males has proven to be an excellent "uncle", and since Sunday, has
          kept them clean and provided them with cuddles - he is even allowing
          them to suckle, of course, once they figure out the spigot is dry,
          they stop LOL. It's good for them, and good for him. I believe Kain
          will be a tremendous asset in the raising of these kits.

          Cathy and the ever growing herd in FL

          > I agree. Kearra had a very faint murmur that actually went away
          over
          > time, and was gone for at least 2-3 years before her death. If the
          > vet had never caught the murmur early, we would have never treated
          > her and keep up with the ultrasounds. It's really the only way to
          > tell.
          >
          > You may want to look into other vets as well. :-/
          >
          > I'm very sorry about Mystic, you are an angel for taking in her and
          > her kittens.
          >

          > Diane
        • diane
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1, 2004
            I don't know if she's still here, but there was someone who faced a
            similar situation with littermates, and had them all tested. I belive
            she managed to get a good deal from a vet to do them all. I also
            believe she was from down under.

            Anyone remember more?

            Diane
          • diane
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 1, 2004
              At 11:31 PM +0000 6/1/04, Cath wrote:
              >Thank you Diane
              >
              >Unfortunately, this was an ER vet - not one I have ever seen before
              >at that particular clinic, in the times I have had to use their
              >services. Being early on a sunday morning, it's the "take what you
              >can get" thing :( \

              I agree! I once opted for surgery on my first cat and it didn't go
              well. It was at a different vet, although it was recommended by our
              vet. I had never gone through this before, I didn't feel the vet had
              good people skills although he seemed fine with Tiger, and I made
              assumptions based on what I was familiar with. Needless to say, I had
              visted Tiger to bring her home on Saturday morning, it didn't go well
              so I left her there (again), and had no idea that they performed such
              surgeries with no 24 hour care. I got a call at 11am Sunday to say
              she hadn't made the night and was furious that no one checked in for
              such a long period of time. Lesson learned. :(

              You remind me that I really need to place phone numbers & directions
              to both emergency vets by the phones. We do have a vet close by that
              I tried to go to when a neighborhood cat was hit by a car, but they
              closed at 6 and I couldn't get a cell signal in their parking lot.

              It's so hard when you're in panic mode to figure out the right thing to do!

              >I miss the sweet Mystic more than I can say.

              No doubt! I'm sure we can all relate to that. :(

              >The kittens are doing
              >ok, and I am supplementing them with KMR, as they have been eating
              >solid food for almost 2 weeks now. But, it's the comfort nursing and
              >the tender care of their mom that they miss most. One of my young
              >males has proven to be an excellent "uncle", and since Sunday, has
              >kept them clean and provided them with cuddles - he is even allowing
              >them to suckle, of course, once they figure out the spigot is dry,
              >they stop LOL. It's good for them, and good for him. I believe Kain
              >will be a tremendous asset in the raising of these kits.

              Hats off to Kain! Sounds like you have an angel herd, as well as yourself. ;)

              Diane
            • Linda Fischbach
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 1, 2004
                That may have been Catherine (in Australia) who has a Mom and 4 (?) kittens
                with heart problems. She posted here a little while ago.

                Linda

                > I don't know if she's still here, but there was someone who faced a
                > similar situation with littermates, and had them all tested. I belive
                > she managed to get a good deal from a vet to do them all. I also
                > believe she was from down under.
                >
                > Anyone remember more?
                >

                > Diane

                feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • diane
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 1, 2004
                  See? I was going to say Cathy but it was just too weird for both to
                  have the same name. :)

                  Diane