Re: My Mystic

  • peteycat9
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2004
      > And, I also read that HCM can strike in families.
      > So, I have 4 6wk
      > old kittens to raise. At what age do I get them
      > tested? Will a
      > simple xray show anything?

      "I would watch for murmurs and have any kittens with
      murmurs ultrasounded. Not cheap but the only way to
      tell. Xrays typically are not informative."

      I must also add that it IS possible for a kitten or cat to have HCM
      WITHOUT a heart murmur! This was certainly the case with the cat we
      lost at a very young age. As explained in my previous posting, my
      cat Checkers didn't even have a murmur when he was dying. I really
      recommend an ultrasound done, even if there are no symptoms or
      unusual heart sounds. Obviously, the test is expensive and having it
      done on all the litter mates would be a huge expense. But if you
      decide to keep any of the babies for yourself, then by all means, you
      may consider getting it done. I'm so sorry about Mystic. I wish you
      the very best with her kittens. I hope and pray that they are
      completely healthy.
      Love,
      Joann
    • diane
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2004
        At 8:32 PM +0000 6/1/04, peteycat9 wrote:
        > > And, I also read that HCM can strike in families.
        >> So, I have 4 6wk
        >> old kittens to raise. At what age do I get them
        >> tested? Will a
        >> simple xray show anything?
        >
        >"I would watch for murmurs and have any kittens with
        >murmurs ultrasounded. Not cheap but the only way to
        >tell. Xrays typically are not informative."
        >
        >I must also add that it IS possible for a kitten or cat to have HCM
        >WITHOUT a heart murmur! This was certainly the case with the cat we
        >lost at a very young age. As explained in my previous posting, my
        >cat Checkers didn't even have a murmur when he was dying. I

        I agree. Kearra had a very faint murmur that actually went away over
        time, and was gone for at least 2-3 years before her death. If the
        vet had never caught the murmur early, we would have never treated
        her and keep up with the ultrasounds. It's really the only way to
        tell.

        You may want to look into other vets as well. :-/

        I'm very sorry about Mystic, you are an angel for taking in her and
        her kittens.

        Diane
      • William Draper
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2004
          - "He had done a thoracentisis and pulled fluid, and
          suggested a pneumothorax... asked idiotic question like "did she
          sneak out and maybe get hit by a car? Did she get into antifreeze or
          tylenol? Did someone kick her?" and on and on."
          -- now that's not fair. with the power of hindsight, those questions may be silly. but you have to realize that as doctors we have to make a list of differential diagnoses in our heads given the presenting signs. those questions he was asking were to cross diseases off of that list in his head.

          - "I even asked about CHF, and he said he was too young to have these types of heart problems"
          -- that wasn't a good answer from him. but, in his defense, the mean age for HCM is about 5 years and 87% of cases are male. but, the fact is, all ages, sexes, and breeds can get HCM; and he definitely should have considered it.

          - "And, I also read that HCM can strike in families. So, I have 4 6wk old kittens to raise. At what age do I get them tested?"
          -- the current thinking is that HCM is hereditary on some level (mostly because there is NO other explanation for it). you will definitely want to have the kittens checked out. radiography is unreliable, you need to have and echocardiogram of each heart to rule out HCM. contact your nearest boarded cardiologist to find out what age they suggest.

          bill
          dvm in 2005
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1, 2004
            -
            Hi Bill

            I wasn't trying to be unfair. This was an ER vet, not my vet. Even
            after I asked about heart disease and he said she was too young, he
            never once brought it up again. He kept harping on about tylenol
            poisoning or FIV/FeLV. Once he dismissed heart disease, it was a
            done subject with him. I realize that he was "trying", but, at that
            moment in time I was a total basket case - my beautiful cat was dying
            at that very minute. I personally thought it incredulous that once I
            said no, she couldn't have gotten into tylenol, hit by a car, kicked,
            etc, he would have continued on a different avenue........ her heart
            perhaps. Seriously, he mentioned her nails and said she was
            apparently not an outdoor cat at least 5 times. Again, I wasn't in
            the best possible frame of mind right then, but, the scenerio plays
            over and over in my mind. She was too far gone by the time I found
            her to save her, but, maybe I'm being selfish, but, I would have
            liked some answers - or at least a semblance of one. This vet was
            also much much older than the vet I use....

            Thank you for your information on the kits. I will talk to my vet
            and find out about a feline cardiologist in my area. :)

            Cathy and the ever growing herd in FL

            > -- now that's not fair. with the power of hindsight, those
            questions may be silly. but you have to realize that as doctors we
            have to make a list of differential diagnoses in our heads given the
            presenting signs. those questions he was asking were to cross
            diseases off of that list in his head.

            > - "I even asked about CHF, and he said he was too young to have
            these types of heart problems"
            > -- that wasn't a good answer from him. but, in his defense, the
            mean age for HCM is about 5 years and 87% of cases are male. but,
            the fact is, all ages, sexes, and breeds can get HCM; and he
            definitely should have considered it.

            > - "And, I also read that HCM can strike in families. So, I have 4
            6wk old kittens to raise. At what age do I get them tested?"
            > -- the current thinking is that HCM is hereditary on some level
            (mostly because there is NO other explanation for it). you will
            definitely want to have the kittens checked out. radiography is
            unreliable, you need to have and echocardiogram of each heart to rule
            out HCM. contact your nearest boarded cardiologist to find out what
            age they suggest.

            > bill
            > dvm in 2005

            your reply will benefit the entire group, please change the "To:"
            line to feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Service.

          • Cath
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 1, 2004
              Thank you Diane

              Unfortunately, this was an ER vet - not one I have ever seen before
              at that particular clinic, in the times I have had to use their
              services. Being early on a sunday morning, it's the "take what you
              can get" thing :(

              I miss the sweet Mystic more than I can say. The kittens are doing
              ok, and I am supplementing them with KMR, as they have been eating
              solid food for almost 2 weeks now. But, it's the comfort nursing and
              the tender care of their mom that they miss most. One of my young
              males has proven to be an excellent "uncle", and since Sunday, has
              kept them clean and provided them with cuddles - he is even allowing
              them to suckle, of course, once they figure out the spigot is dry,
              they stop LOL. It's good for them, and good for him. I believe Kain
              will be a tremendous asset in the raising of these kits.

              Cathy and the ever growing herd in FL

              > I agree. Kearra had a very faint murmur that actually went away
              over
              > time, and was gone for at least 2-3 years before her death. If the
              > vet had never caught the murmur early, we would have never treated
              > her and keep up with the ultrasounds. It's really the only way to
              > tell.
              >
              > You may want to look into other vets as well. :-/
              >
              > I'm very sorry about Mystic, you are an angel for taking in her and
              > her kittens.
              >

              > Diane
            • diane
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 1, 2004
                I don't know if she's still here, but there was someone who faced a
                similar situation with littermates, and had them all tested. I belive
                she managed to get a good deal from a vet to do them all. I also
                believe she was from down under.

                Anyone remember more?

                Diane
              • diane
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 1, 2004
                  At 11:31 PM +0000 6/1/04, Cath wrote:
                  >Thank you Diane
                  >
                  >Unfortunately, this was an ER vet - not one I have ever seen before
                  >at that particular clinic, in the times I have had to use their
                  >services. Being early on a sunday morning, it's the "take what you
                  >can get" thing :( \

                  I agree! I once opted for surgery on my first cat and it didn't go
                  well. It was at a different vet, although it was recommended by our
                  vet. I had never gone through this before, I didn't feel the vet had
                  good people skills although he seemed fine with Tiger, and I made
                  assumptions based on what I was familiar with. Needless to say, I had
                  visted Tiger to bring her home on Saturday morning, it didn't go well
                  so I left her there (again), and had no idea that they performed such
                  surgeries with no 24 hour care. I got a call at 11am Sunday to say
                  she hadn't made the night and was furious that no one checked in for
                  such a long period of time. Lesson learned. :(

                  You remind me that I really need to place phone numbers & directions
                  to both emergency vets by the phones. We do have a vet close by that
                  I tried to go to when a neighborhood cat was hit by a car, but they
                  closed at 6 and I couldn't get a cell signal in their parking lot.

                  It's so hard when you're in panic mode to figure out the right thing to do!

                  >I miss the sweet Mystic more than I can say.

                  No doubt! I'm sure we can all relate to that. :(

                  >The kittens are doing
                  >ok, and I am supplementing them with KMR, as they have been eating
                  >solid food for almost 2 weeks now. But, it's the comfort nursing and
                  >the tender care of their mom that they miss most. One of my young
                  >males has proven to be an excellent "uncle", and since Sunday, has
                  >kept them clean and provided them with cuddles - he is even allowing
                  >them to suckle, of course, once they figure out the spigot is dry,
                  >they stop LOL. It's good for them, and good for him. I believe Kain
                  >will be a tremendous asset in the raising of these kits.

                  Hats off to Kain! Sounds like you have an angel herd, as well as yourself. ;)

                  Diane
                • Linda Fischbach
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 1, 2004
                    That may have been Catherine (in Australia) who has a Mom and 4 (?) kittens
                    with heart problems. She posted here a little while ago.

                    Linda

                    > I don't know if she's still here, but there was someone who faced a
                    > similar situation with littermates, and had them all tested. I belive
                    > she managed to get a good deal from a vet to do them all. I also
                    > believe she was from down under.
                    >
                    > Anyone remember more?
                    >

                    > Diane

                    feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • diane
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 1, 2004
                      See? I was going to say Cathy but it was just too weird for both to
                      have the same name. :)

                      Diane