Introducing Tabby Jean..and question about commercial pet food

  • sandworm90292
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2004
      Folks,

      My beautiful, sweet as sugar and SUPER SMART female short-haired tabby, Tabbatha Jean
      was diagnosed last week with cardio-myopathy. 40% enlarged left ventricle, arrhythmia,
      and two of her valves are slightly thickened.

      The vet has her on Atenolol, which seems to be having zero side-effects; she was totally
      asymptomatic when a routine yearly physical spotted the problem and the diagnosis was
      made with EKG, chest x-rays and ultra sound(Doppler color flow, which alone cost me
      $400).

      Question: can switching her food make a difference? She shares the house with a 2 year
      old long-haired tabby named Tazzleberry(who is beautiful, dumb, and blissfully unaware
      of her sister's condition) and what I feed one I have to feed the other.

      About a year ago I took them off of the different brands they were eating and put them
      on Wellness formula, dry and canned food. They NEVER leave it over(unlike all the other
      brands) and it LOOKS like good stuff from the label.

      Is Wellness brand one of the better ones? I've heard ProPlan(which all the vets out here
      sell) is good too?

      I am wondering, once Tabby's arrhythmia is under control, if there is ANY kind of
      supplement to retard the myopathy so her heart does not continue to enlarge.

      Paul R..loving Daddy to Tabby Jean and Tazzleberry Marie
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2 8:53 AM
        --- sandworm90292 <erosla77@...> wrote:
        > Folks,
        >
        > My beautiful, sweet as sugar and SUPER SMART female
        > short-haired tabby, Tabbatha Jean
        > was diagnosed last week with cardio-myopathy. 40%
        > enlarged left ventricle, arrhythmia,
        > and two of her valves are slightly thickened.
        >
        > The vet has her on Atenolol, which seems to be
        > having zero side-effects; she was totally
        > asymptomatic when a routine yearly physical spotted
        > the problem

        Atenolol is doing several things for Tabby Jean that
        are so important. For me understanding how it works
        was important. There are andergenic receptors which
        certain substances secreted by the adrenal gland fit
        into. These receptors occur in the heart and the
        lungs. Atenolol is a selective beta-blocker, meaning
        it is like a key that fits into a certain lock. In the
        case of atenolol it fits into the andergenic receptors
        on the heart unlike propanolol which is not specific
        and also fits into receptors on the lungs. When these
        receptors on the heart are filled they are unavailable
        to the substances secreted by the adrenal gland that
        increase heart rate. So atenolol slows the heart rate
        giving our cat's left ventricle a longer time to fill
        up. Atenolol also reduces the oxygen demand of the
        heart. When the heart has an increased demand due to a
        fast heart rate that is not being adequately supplied
        the heart muscle suffers damage. So atenolol helps to
        prevent that damage. You also mentioned arrhythmia,
        atenolol helps with this also.

        > Question: can switching her food make a difference?

        You do not want to initiate severe sodium restriction
        until your cardiologist or internist tells you to.
        However extremely salty people snacks are not a good
        idea.

        > I am wondering, once Tabby's arrhythmia is under
        > control, if there is ANY kind of
        > supplement to retard the myopathy so her heart does
        > not continue to enlarge.

        The short answer is that veterinary cardiologists are
        not sure yet, but there have been intriquing reports.

        According to Clarke Atkins:
        http://www.vetlatranquera.com.ar/pages/wild/small_animal_2.htm

        "A recent report by Rush, et al. demonstrated a
        reduction in wall thickness with the administration of
        enalapril to cats with HCM. This suggests a potential
        role for ACE-inhibitors in the treatment of HCM.
        These drugs are generally safe and do play a role in
        cases which are refractory or in which pleural
        effusion is present. In asymptomatic patients, it is
        logical that the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system
        is not pathologically activated, and hence
        ACE-inhibitors would not be useful. The study
        referred to argues that they may play a role, however.
        Further studies are being planned. Enalapril is used
        at .5 mg/kg daily."

        Other therapies, including oxygen, aspirin, home
        confinement, and moderate salt restriction should be
        instituted as needed. Taurine supplementation is not
        necessary in the treatment of HC. In asymptomatic
        cats with HC, the author advises home confinement,
        moderate salt restriction, Beta- and/or calcium
        channel blockade, and aspirin indefinitely."

        According to Dr. O'Grady of VetGo Cardiology Concepts:
        http://www.vetgo.com/cardio/concepts/concindx.php

        "Growth hormone excess is being investigated, however
        it is too early to suggest if or how common this
        abnormality is involved in feline HCM.

        Work in people with the identical disorder suggests
        that Angiotensin II or aldosterone excess, likely at
        the myocardial tissue level without elevated
        circulating blood levels of angio II or aldosterone,
        may activate gene expression resulting in myocyte
        hypertrophy. If this also occurs in the cat, then ACE
        Inhibitor therapy may reduce the local tissue levels
        of Angio II or aldosterone aborting this process.

        Alpha adrenoreceptor blockers may also reduce left
        ventricular concentric hypertrophy.

        As described above, the first prospective, randomized,
        placebo-controlled clinical trial investigating the
        treatment of feline HCM and CHF is underway. This
        trial is investigating four treatments groups (all
        groups receive furosemide as they are CHF patients):
        placebo, ACE-inhibitior, atenolol (beta blocker), and
        diltiazem (calcium channel blocker). We await the
        results of this trial to determine the appropriateness
        of these therapeutic modalities to treat feline HCM."

        Susan

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/