Holistic vs allopathic

  • Marjorie Blaine
    Message 1 of 4 , May 28 10:55 PM
      I believe every vet student has the best intention of practicing as they
      trained and the training in many schools is excellent. But with academia,
      sometimes the real world is totally different than the schoolhouse.

      " i reiterate that i am all for the best treatment options for my future
      clients. i just can't abide by the "my mom's best friend's hairstylist gave
      her cat substance A and it got over disease X". this is how holistic
      medicine seems to be propagate to me. we have had a few holistic vets come
      to school to give lectures, and they just don't impress me. their knowledge
      of basic disease processes is lacking, and they seem to have a standard
      remedy for every disease."

      I have to laugh because that may really seem what holistic medicine is. But
      it is not; holistic and homeopathic medicine should not be played with by
      novices. I would never give my cats herbs or any homeopathic treatment that
      was not prescribed by a knowledgeable vet and I highly recommend the same to
      anyone else. Nutraceuticals......that's different. That isn't holistic
      medicine--it's nutraceuticals. I'll be the first to admit that bad holistic
      vets, just as bad traditional vets, exist. It's too bad you haven't been
      able to get someone like Dr. Basko
      from HI to speak to your class. Amazing knowledge--probably one of the top
      veterinary herbalists in the country; but he practices standard medicine as
      well.

      I'm glad you're open to alternative treatments, Bill, and willing to read up
      on things. Best of luck.

      Marjorie
      Sitka, Teddi, Gus, Max