Purcy is losing weight

  • Heather Grace
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2004
      I had to take Purcy to the vet last night because he developed an
      upper respiratory infection from another cat of mine. I was
      concerned because he wasn't eating yesterday and he felt warm. It
      turned out that he had a fever of 104.7, and he had lost 13 oz,
      almost a pound, since 4/6/04. He was 10 lbs 8 oz, now he's 9 lbs 11
      oz. He has seemed fine up until the other night when he started
      sneezing.

      He's on Clavamox now and already I've noticed an improvement. He ate
      pretty well today. He had bloodwork done at the vets, but I haven't
      heard back on the results yet. The vet said that his heart murmur
      sounded the same, and she heard Purcy sneeze and she was confident it
      had nothing to do with his heart. His lungs sounded clear. He got a
      shot of Amoxicillin. He wasn't given fluids for his fever because of
      his heart dz, so they tried to cool him down by putting alcohol pads
      on the bottom of his paws.

      I'm worried about him losing weight. It seems like a lot in a short
      amount of time. He's been going outside a lot during the day, and I
      notice sometimes he runs about playfully with the other cats.
      Usually, though, he's just relaxing. I always have water and food
      nearby for him.

      When I get his bloodwork results I'll let you all know how he made
      out. Please send good vibes his way! :)

      Heather & Purcy in Mass.

      =====
      Purcy: Male Himalayan, diagnosed 07-2003 at 6 years of age with HCM
      with severe mitral valve regurgitation and mild left atrial
      enlargement, slight pericardial effusion: grade 3 murmur Left apical
      & grade 2 Right sided systolic murmur, Enalapril Maleate 1.25 mg 1x
      day, Furosemide (Lasix) 6.25 mg 2x day, 1 aspirin 81 mg every three
      days administered via pilling.