Re: [FH] Teddy's appt. w/ new Cardiologist

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 3 , May 26, 2004
      --- dluper <sfoxluper@...> wrote:
      He
      > started him on
      > Atenolol as well and wants to see him back in 3
      > months.
      >
      > Anyone have thoughts on this 3 month re-visit? It
      > cost us over
      > $400.00 today. If we prolonged the appointment to
      > 4-6 months out if
      > he's not experience any problems on the new meds,
      > would that be
      > considered risky?

      My vet charges less for followup ultrasounds. So you
      may want to ask if the price will be the same. Your
      bill may have included bloodwork to rule out some
      other diseases that HCM is secondary to, so that would
      be a charge that is not repeated. Rudy's followup
      echo was in 1 month, then not for 6 months. Once
      cats are stable often followup ultrasounds are only
      performed yearly.

      Atenolol is a beta-blocker that fits into receptors on
      the heart that affect heart rate. So atenolol reduces
      the heart rate allowing the ventricle to have a longer
      time to fill. It also reduces the hearts need for
      oxygen. If the dose of atenolol is too high, low blood
      pressure would be the result. My internist said that
      if my cat ever could not jump up on furniture it would
      indicate the atenolol was too high. Atenolol can cause
      lethergy, but I have a feeling this is more serious of
      a side effect in people because they have to go to
      work. Cats sleep alot anyways and what atenolol does
      by reducing heart rate and myocardial oxygen demand is
      so important. My cat is 8 lbs. and he is on 12.5 mg of
      atenolol. It does not make him sleepy and he can run
      better with atenolol than without. In addition on
      atenolol his murmur is gone. It was a 2 out of 5.

      Susan

      =====

      http://messenger.yahoo.com/