Vaccination debate

  • gerald7983
    Message 1 of 3 , May 14, 2004
      I recently sent details of my cat Chloe who has developed acute
      heart problems and is now on Fortekor and Fusol. I have 2 cats, both
      sought help from me as stray kittens, some 11 years ago. Chloe and
      Sophie have had identical lifestyle patterns and are in effect house
      cats, female and spayed. They do not mix with neigbourhood cats
      other than to chase them away ie. into the next garden.
      Both cats had the 6 monthly essential vaccinations (prescribed and
      recommended by the local vet)
      Chloe did not take kindly to her vaccination and showed increasing
      symptoms of being 'battered' after the event, being completely 'off
      colour'.I noticed that after each vets visit she became worse, so I
      decided( against the vets protestations) to cease any further
      vaccinations. This was some 4 years ago.
      Chloe has now developed acute heart failure(vets diagnosis) and I
      feel that she could have had probable heart weakness which was
      causing the post vaccination condition explained above. I know that
      both cats hearts were not checked prior to injections being carried
      out. As both cats are otherwise healthy, could it be that the
      vaccinations have contributed to Chloe's present condition?
      I do think that in view of the current debate over vaccination our
      experience with Chloe could re-inforce the anti-vaccination
      arguement.

      Thanks for listening

      Geb
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 3 , May 14, 2004
        --- gerald7983 <geb.huxley@...> wrote:
        > I recently sent details of my cat Chloe who has
        > developed acute
        > heart problems and is now on Fortekor and Fusol. I
        > have 2 cats, both
        > sought help from me as stray kittens, some 11 years
        > ago. > Both cats had the 6 monthly essential
        vaccinations
        > (prescribed and
        > recommended by the local vet)
        > Chloe did not take kindly to her vaccination and
        > showed increasing
        > symptoms of being 'battered' after the event, being
        > completely 'off
        > colour'.

        6 monthly? Is this a UK thing?

        > Chloe has now developed acute heart failure(vets
        > diagnosis)

        I can't remember if hyperT has been ruled out as Chloe
        is older.

        > feel that she could have had probable heart weakness
        > which was
        > causing the post vaccination condition explained
        > above. I know that
        > both cats hearts were not checked prior to
        > injections being carried
        > out. As both cats are otherwise healthy, could it be
        > that the
        > vaccinations have contributed to Chloe's present
        > condition?

        The most detailed explanation for the current thinking
        on the cause of primary idiopathis (not caused by
        hyperT) feline HCM that I have found is below:

        from
        http://maxshouse.com/Cardiology/myocardial_diseases_of_the_cat.htm

        "The cause of primary or idiopathic hypertrophic
        cardiomyopathy (HCM) in cats is unknown, although a
        genetic basis or predisposition is likely in some
        cases. The disease appears to be highly prevalent in
        certain bloodlines of several breeds. Most cases of
        HCM in people are familial, and several specific
        abnormalities of genes for myocardial proteins have
        been identified in different kindreds. In addition to
        mutations of genes that encode for myocardial
        contractile or regulatory proteins, postulated causes
        of the disease include an increased myocardial
        sensitivity to or excessive production of
        catecholamines; an abnormal hypertrophic response to
        myocardial ischemic, fibrosis, or trophic factors; a
        primary collagen abnormality; or abnormalities of the
        myocardial calcium handling process. Some cats with
        HCM have high serum growth hormone concentrations."

        Dr. Wendy Ware wrote the above. Here is a link to her
        research publications:

        http://www.vetmed.iastate.edu/faculty_staff/profiles/waware3.asp

        Susan

        http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/
      • brinkett
        Message 3 of 3 , May 14, 2004
          > As both cats are otherwise healthy, could it be that the
          > vaccinations have contributed to Chloe's present condition?

          As Susan indicated in her response, nobody can answer the question
          because the cause of HCM is currently unknown (not counting cats
          with hyperT), though there does seem to be mounting evidence that
          there could be a genetic component in some cases.

          So I'm afraid the jury is out until studies are done. Anything you
          might have heard about vaccinations causing HCM is in the realm of
          guesswork at this time with no scientific evidence to back it up.

          As far as vaccinating kitties with HCM/RCM, Bill suggested that I
          ask this question on Vet Cafe. I've received two answers - one
          which basically said it's a tricky question and to vaccinate
          according to what the cats needs, and that in some places rabies
          vaccinations are mandatory. Another one said that he wouldn't
          vaccinate cats in CHF, especially if their vaccinations had been up
          to date previously, but that he would vaccinate asymptomatic cats or
          cats with mild HCM as per the current vaccination guidelines.

          Hopefully more vets will chime in. I'm seeing my own vet tomorrow
          and will ask her for her opinion (and if I remember, will ask about
          catnip - that's come up a few times).

          Sarah.