Cat Urine Removal Miracle - Thank God!!!!!!

  • wienersandbeans
    Message 1 of 2 , May 13, 2004
      SUMMARY: Don't waste your money on deodorizers and Enzymatic Urine-
      off products. For deep cleaning and lingering cat-pee smells use
      ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL!!!!! 50% or 90% volume will do!!

      Okay, for those that know I was recently attempting to save an old
      Queen Anne antique sofa and chair set -- to no avail... I think I
      finally found a cure. And these things did NOT smell good.

      First of all, my neighbour gave me the set, but her cat had peed
      quite a fair bit on them. The cat didn't pee ALL over them, but
      rather in the corners. The cushions COULD NOT be removed so I had
      to clean it as a whole.

      I spent $80 on Nature's Miracle (an enzymatioc cleaner) and it
      didn't work. I cleaned it by hand with deodorizing cleanser and
      water, didn't work. Nilodor, didn't work. Carpet deodorizer,
      didn't work. Perfume, didn't work... it only masked the scent until
      it wore off. But then I thought of something. I looked at the
      active ingredients in Nature's Miracle and it's comprised of:

      1) Water
      2) Nature's Enzymes (could we be more specific? sorry, what enzymes?)
      3) Isopropyl Alcohol (you can smell it when you use it)
      4) Natural Citrus Scent.

      So, I figured the alcohol is probably killing off any bacteria and
      evaporating odour and such. I think I may have hit pay-dirt with
      this common household liquid: Isopropyl Alcohol (no it's not in your
      liquor cabinet). It's common rubbing alcohol for cuts and ear-
      piercing etc.... It happens to be the active ingredient in Nature's
      Miracle only it's watered down in that product.

      So, I bought 4 bottles of rubbing alcohol at the drug store ($8
      total) and I basically poured the isopropyl alcohol on the stinky
      parts of the couch through a plant-watering can (even distribution)
      and then opened the windows and turned on a fan. The fumes were
      pretty good for an hour or so, I saw some pretty rabbits and sang
      songs to a gnome in my closet....til the fumes wore off (j/k). Then
      I checked on them later that night and they didn't smell anymore!!!
      I will double check this tomorrow to be sure. I resorted to 90% pure
      rubbing alcohol assuming that it would seep in, dry and evaporate
      anything up and kill any bacteria or odours left behind. God, I hope
      it really works. Note* DO NOT LIGHT A CANDLE or INCENSE or anything
      near the spot for a few hours. It's flammable.

      EXTRA: It's a day later and things still smell pretty clear in my
      living room! No colour changes have happened to the fabric
      (original antique natually-dyed fabric too!!) I'm going to monitor
      the whole situation and let you all know how it goes in 3 or 4
      days. Thats enough time for the smell to come back if it really
      wants to!

      SUMMARY: Don't waste your money on deodorizers and Enzymatic Urine-
      off products. For deep cleaning and lingering cat-pee smells use
      ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL!!!!! 50% or 90% volume will do!!
    • Sara
      Message 2 of 2 , May 14, 2004
        I am so glad you posted this!! I've been having the same problem as you!

        My HCM kitty Toby has had some behavioural problems in the past, he does not like our dog so he peed on the dog's bed and the dog's spot on the couch. It hasnt happened lately (knock on wood!) but sometimes I'll be sitting on the couch and I can faintly smell it, its so embarrasing. I tried using Nature Miracle too, let it soak in, but I still smell it.

        So plain rubbing alcholol really works? Do you water it down any? Does the alcohol smell linger? Did you get this tip from somewhere or you just decided to try it?

        Please keep me updated, I would LOVE to know how this works out!! Thank you!!!!