Rad and Purr Box - Newbies

  • radh@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2004
      Hello everyone.

      I expect that I will know a few people here as I have spent a little
      over four years on the CRF site with Purr Box. She is just shy of 18
      years old and was diagnosed with CRF in September, 1999. She was
      diagnosed with HCM about a year and a half after that, if I remember
      correctly. She has been on Diltiazem and it was very effective but a
      couple of weeks ago we learned that her blood pressure had risen to
      220. The vet discontinued the Diltiazem and we started on Norvasc on
      5/1/04. A checkup on 5/11 showed that her BP has gone down to 140
      but there was a fairly pronounced murmur - probably the now untreated
      HCM. She is going for an echo and x-rays tomorrow so that we can
      have a look at what is going on and then determine what medication is
      appropriate.

      I would like to ask the group:

      1) IF it is indeed the HCM, is there a prefered HCM medication to use
      in conjunction with Norvasc?

      2) Is there anything that might be prescribed that we should be on
      the alert for and avoid.

      3) Any other input gratefully accepted.

      We have a new vet on board - a board certified internist and she
      seems competent and up to speed. However, I have never been one to
      toss my fate unquestioningly into the hands of another.

      Any input would be appreciated and in the mean time, I will hit the
      archives.

      Best regards to all, and the fuzzy ones that brought you here.

      Rad and Purr Box