[FH] Re: Fortekor for Cat Heart problems

  • brinkett
    Message 1 of 2 , May 11, 2004
      > She was examined 10 days ago by the vet who was pleased with her
      progress, even reducing her diuretic dose by half but keeping her on
      Fortekor 2.5mg per day.(Crushed and put in her food) and a diuretic
      (Sprinkled on her food)

      Generally after decreasing the diuretic dose, the cat is checked
      again within a week or so to make sure that the new dose is adequate
      to keep the fluid at bay. Since Chloe's breathing is rapid and
      pronounced, you might want to have her checked again to be sure that
      the new dose is enough.

      > She did have an ultra-sound checkup.

      What was the diagnosis, do you know? (HCM, RCM, ?)

      > On summing up one could say that the vet is now doing a good job,
      but as the Fortekor is being trialed no-one knows the outcome. I
      will advise progress etc and thanks for listening.

      Fortekor, like most heart meds, has been given to cats for quite a
      while. However, there are no studies completed that show that the
      heart meds are actually effective (though I believe one is currently
      ongoing). The only medications that they know for sure make a
      difference are the diuretics. Everything else that is currently
      prescribed is based on studies in humans. So strictly speaking,
      everything but diuretics are "being trialed", but I think most of us
      with heart kitties would say that the heart meds definitely help.
      We were able to cut the dose of our cat's diuretic by increasing the
      dose of Fortekor, so I do believe it makes a positive difference.

      Sarah.