Re: [FH] new person, newly diagnosed HCM-need urgent advice

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10 7:55 PM
      Hi Carrie,

      In a message dated 5/9/04 1:30:50 AM, carrie_311@... writes:

      << called in to the pharmacy to have her medicines
      liquidized and flavored >>

      There are other options for compounded meds besides suspensions, incl pastes,
      chewable treats, transdermal gels, and injectables.

      << 5 days later, she's still refusing to eat. >>

      Appetite is a very sensitive indicator of physical health.

      << She drinks and drinks,
      but she gags at the smell of any new food or medicines. She's thrown
      up several times after medications were recieved >>

      Could she be nauseous from the combinations of medications being given?

      << So now, I'm at the point where I have to ask myself where to draw the
      line. >>

      That's an important question...and one that only the cat and you, as her
      caregiver, can answer.

      << I really feel that its up to HER to want to live, to take her meds, and
      to eat, but at what point do you say "she's had enough." >>

      Has the cat indicated to you that she's had "enough"?

      << I know no one has the "right" answer for this situation, but it kills
      me to see her like this. When do you know you cant try anymore, and
      to let her go? >>

      The answer to that question is different for each partnership of animal and
      caregiver. If you'd like to ask the cat her wishes...and hear her
      directory here: www.animaltalk.net/consultlist.htm. // Rosemary