Re: [FH] Just joining group - re young cat with HCM

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 2 , May 10, 2004
      --- guydabord <guydabord@...> wrote:
      > Last month my cat Boris was diagnosed with HCM. He's
      > had bloodtests (all normal), X-rays
      > and an ultrasound. He's not on any medication as yet
      > - I'm waiting for final word from my
      > vet, who consulted with the radiologist.
      >

      > Boris is about 14 months old - he's a British Blue
      > Shorthair. I'm trying to figure out
      > what to expect, and to find out what I can
      > do to help him out.

      While there is certainly no concensus on treating
      asymptomatic cats, certain breeds such as Maine Coon
      are considered a high risk genotype and preeminent
      veterinary cardiologists such as Phil Fox do suggest
      treating. The British Shorthair, along with the
      American Shorthair are a breed sometimes mentioned as
      being at risk for HCM.

      There are many cats on this list who are asymptomatic
      that are being treated. The majority ar on a
      beta-blocker called atenolol, which slows their heart
      rate and reduces their hearts need for oxygen. Some
      cats have been on atenolol for 5-6 years.

      My cat is on atenolol because my vet believes in
      treating asymptomatics based on his clinical
      experience. I do believe that I have seen improvement
      in exercise tolerance. Followup echos are also
      improved on atenolol.

      See:
      Management of Feline Cardiomyopathies
      http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WALTHAMOSU2002&PID=2991

      "Malignant" Familial History (High Risk genotype).
      Pedigrees are occasionally identified with a
      documented heritable pattern of HCM with severe
      morbidity and mortality (e.g., Maine coon cats,
      others). Early intervention with calcium channel
      blockers or beta-adrenergic blockers may be
      contemplated based on experimental considerations
      which hold that a pathway to the phenotypic expression
      of LV hypertrophy is influenced by triggers such as
      higher LV pressure and work load.

      Susan

      =====