chylothorax update

  • Stefanie Daratony
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5 8:28 PM
      I took Luther to a veterinary specialty clinic yesterday. He almost did not survive- he had so much chyle built up since the last time he had been tapped 5 days before. An ultrasound revealed nothing out of the ordinary, so his chylothorax is idiopathic. The vet said that his heart and lungs do not appear damaged yet.

      Our only options to keep him alive are to try surgery (50/50 success rate) or to keep bringing him in to get the fluid drained. But at the rate it is accumulating, the vet estimated he would need to be brought in probably at least twice a week and his lungs would get scarred and lose function. So we are going to do the surgery but it was a difficult decision. It will cost around $2,000, money which we really don't have to spare and I am concerned about putting him through more stress and pain for potentially no good outcome. So I hope I am making the right choice.

      The surgeon said that she will ligate the thoracic duct and also remove the pericardium and it is relatively new to combine the two procedures. Surgery is scheduled for Monday.
      Stefanie