anesthesia

  • Beverly Parsons
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2004
      Hi everyone,

      I haven't posted in a while but have been keeping
      track of everyone on the list. I'm always distressed
      by the losses, but heartened by the good news....

      Our cat Tasselhoff was diagnosed with HCM about a year
      ago. He's on atenolol and enalapril, in the care of
      cardiologist Dr. Scrope at the Oradell Animal Hospital
      in Jersey. He just had an echo last week, and the
      report was glowing. His heart has actually improved
      on the meds - enlargement down, murmur almost gone.

      However....he has developed a lump on his leg. The
      surgeon cannot tell us if it is malignant (cytology
      tests were inconclusive). She wants to remove the
      lump, in case it is malignant. She is at Oradell as
      well, so Dr. Schrope will be involved.

      I would like to know if any of your heart kitties have
      undergone surgery, and if so, how they did.

      Many thanks,
      Beverly Parsons and Tasselhoff

    • Jonathan Rosenberg
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2004
        In an earlier message, Beverly Parsons [mailto:baparsons@...] said ...

        > Our cat Tasselhoff was diagnosed with HCM about a year
        > ago. He's on atenolol and enalapril, in the care of
        > cardiologist Dr. Scrope at the Oradell Animal Hospital
        > in Jersey. He just had an echo last week, and the
        > report was glowing. His heart has actually improved
        > on the meds - enlargement down, murmur almost gone.

        > However....he has developed a lump on his leg. The
        > surgeon cannot tell us if it is malignant (cytology
        > tests were inconclusive). She wants to remove the
        > lump, in case it is malignant. She is at Oradell as
        > well, so Dr. Schrope will be involved.

        A few thoughts ...

        1) Dr. Schrope is a wonderful cardiologist. If he feels the procedure would be safe, that would boost my confidence level
        tremendously.

        2) Have you seen an oncologist? You may want to do this to see if he/she thinks removal is warranted. With some lumps, a
        wait-and-see approach is a more conservative (& better, IMHO) approach.

        3) This may sound crazy, but you might consider having someone do an ultrasound of the lump. It would be costly, but it might give
        everyone a better idea of what is going on there (e.g., if there is a lot of vascularization in the lump, it is more likely a
        tumor).

        4) I presume the cytology report was from a fine needle aspirate? Any chance they can get a piece of the lump just using a local
        anesthetic?

        --
        Jonathan Rosenberg
        Licorice, Tigger, Jet,
        Message 3 of 3 , May 14, 2004
          Hi everyone,

          I wanted to update evryone on Tasselhoff. If you
          remember I wrote a few weeks ago about a lump on his
          wrist and whether or not we should do surgery. His
          cardiologist strongly encouraged surgery and so it was
          scheduled for yesterday.

          However, the pre-surgery x-rays showed the mass has
          completely taken over his joint and is not removable.
          Even worse, the chest x-rays show a mass in his lungs
          that is most likely a metastisis. Needless to say -
          we are devastated. He was doing so well on his heart
          meds - I just cannot believe this has happened. I
          feel like I've been punched in the stomach.

          His surgeon thinks it is synovial cell sarcoma - very
          rare in dogs and even rarer in cats. We're going to
          consult with an oncologist - but I just cannot put him
          through painfil chemo and radiation to only extend his
          life a small bit.

          We did not do any surgery yesterday - brought him home
          to regroup. He, of course, is the picture of health.
          Oblivious to it all and just wanting to eat. Ah,
          ignorance is bliss!

          So, this morning I join the feline cancer list and ask
          for help. If anyone has a cancer kitty on this list
          any advice would be appreciated.

          Thanks for all your support and help.

          Beverly Parsons & Tasselhoff

          http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/