Re:chylothorax

  • Janie and Ray
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3 8:58 PM
      I lost my Blackie this past oct to this. First let me say I think she
      fell and hurt herself. I took her to the dr and they thought she was
      breathing too fast. I took her to Purdue University and they kept her a
      few days. They felt Blackie would die if operated on. They got all the
      fluid out as much as they could. Getting her breathing almost to 35. I
      took her home she was so weak. They said to count her breathing and if
      it got over 60 to 80 come in. Well we also gave her rutin. They told us
      to get it at GNC its 500mg take 1/2 pill at am supper and bed. It is a
      big pill but I used treats and broke the 1/2 into 3 pieces . She took
      them. She slept for about 4 days and finally got up. The hospital didnt
      think she would live. She started her rutin and she new when it was
      time. My husband sang her a rutin song even. Well she pepped up and
      started feeling better. The hospital called and hows Blackie Id say shes
      laying on the deck. after 6 months they stopped calling. To make a long
      story shorter. Blackie lived a great life for four years. She couldnt
      run like the others but she held her own. In the spring shed have to
      get used to the humidity. I really made sure she wasnt out in hot or too
      cold and took good care. She neer had to go back for 3 years I was
      afraid to stress her. We noticed increase in her breathng and took her
      in They took some out it wouldnt stay out. We went back to Purdue and
      they said we could operated now but it was not a good candidate also its
      very painful and a lot of kittys hae to be put to sleep after days after
      surgery. Blackie came home and then we had her 2 days and she could not
      walk across the room. My husband got oxygen and we took her back to the
      hosp. She couldnt come out of the ox cage and breath long. I couldnt
      bring her home I had to help her and she went right to sleep. My Blackie
      is really in the books for this. Her other littermates have
      cardiomyopathy and 2 died with the heart problem. She has a brother
      still alive taking meds and fine we were so thrilled Blackie didnt have
      it but then this. I really think it was from the fall. Blackie was 6 and
      died at 10. Try that rutin it works on some cats. THey said that surgery
      was $7000. You know if they gave her better odds I wouldnt care. Whats
      money if I dont have her. Im not rich. I lost her and Silly in July to
      cancer and our dog dec. Be sure and get your cat on rutin fast and make
      sure you get each dose also Blackie weighed 8.5 pounds. This is a
      proven thing Good Luck. I hope you have your Baby as long as we had her
      Janie
    • Janie
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 9, 2006
        They do say it is usually after you get cardiomyopathy but I thought
        your lungs. Blackie was the only one who did not have the heart disease
        but she had this. Janie
      • bo1024
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 12, 2009
          Hi everyone. I have been on here since 1999 and I have been through about it all I think. Presently I have lost all our HCM cats over the last years. I have had one with chlyo thorax and I have helped some of you as your cats developed it from HCM. My other cat Blackie died of this and it too was idiopathic as her heart was fine.

          My cat Jaguar who is FIV+ now has chylothorax idiopathic. We have been to Purdue and we have ran every test they could come up with. No massed heart great. He is a very healthy cat who has fiv and now this. They cannot believe that it happened to us again it is rare. They still had Blackies record. No they are not related. Jag is 4 years old orange tabby. Big guy. 16 pounds. He had lost a couple pounds.

          Jaguar was put on Rutin. He is a big guy so 500mg three times a day. and we started that yesterday. He was taped and he is on antibiotics as he has fiv. They do not want to operate as it would be dangerous and its not a great operation. Lots of risk of infection. We are hopping for medicine will control him as Blackie for many years. He is very happy and doing his normal things. I just make him stay in tell its cool or not humid. He goes out with his brother and sisters in our yard on the deck and a little fenced area. We always are with him.
          He takes his medicine in a dropper his interferron and he opens his mouth and takes it same for the antibiotic it is liquid. Rutin I crushed it up and put it in some soft food. I used to put Blackies ina treat but she was not taking as much and thats a lot of treats. They put him on purina o/m or hills w/d which he eats now.She thought the purina would be better for awhile tell he gets to 14 pounds.

          Is there any groups for this. I cant find any on yahoo?? Also Is this still what everyone is doing. I know there is a few cats who have this on here.

          Thanks any new info would help. Janie Jaguar and Boomer,Stormy. Cinnamon
          Lots of angels Sockster,Socks,Blackie,Speedy,Mr T, Trampster Heart Silly cancer
        • moonpye
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 15, 2009
            Hi Janie,

            I'm sorry to hear that your Jaguar has Chylothorax now.. I am glad that he
            is feeling happy and doing well with his meds.

            I really don't have much knowledge about Rutin other then on Skylar's
            cardiologist notes, which says - some patients may respond after 2 - 3
            months of supplementation and side effects are negligible.. And low fat
            diets may make it easier for a patient to resorb fluid.

            You may want to join petvetcafe and search Chylothorax in the search box,
            there are 50 posts on it you may want to read.

            For anyone who wants to read a little about Chylothorax:
            http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2410

            Btw Janie, I always remember that I refused that Depo shot for Skylar thanks
            to you and Nala.:)

            Hugs,
            Candace with Cinnamon and Skylar