RE: [FH] FYI: CPR for animals

  • Steph
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2004
      We have several ppl who have attempted the heimlich maneuver in their
      pets for objects that aren't really lodged in their throats at all.. the
      result was pulmonary contusions resulting in the animal being
      hospitalized for extensive periods of time.. so please.. don't use this
      technique lightly.. you can do SEVERE damage to your dog or cat if ya
      don't know what you're doing. Humans are not dogs are not cats are not
      horses.

      :) *tosses in two cents*

      me :).

      Subject: [FH] FYI: CPR for animals

      http://members.aol.com/henryhbk/acpr.html

    • Susan
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2004
        --- jen <lundgren_jennifer@...> wrote:
        > Carol,
        >
        > Aminophylline is used to dilate the aveolii
        > ("breathing sacs") in the
        > lungs; it is one of the old treatments for asthma
        > that is rarely used now.
        > I have never heard of it being used for fluid
        > retention. Fluid usually
        > accumulates in the lungs or the area around the
        > lungs due to heart
        > failure in kitties. It may also, more rarely,
        > accumulate in the abdomen,
        > known as ascites.

        could this be for DCM?

        Found the following on VetGo Cardiology:

        How is feline dilated cardiomyopathy treated?

        Goals of therapy:

        Treat pulmonary edema/pleural effusion:
        thoracocentesis
        lasix
        aminophylline
        venodilator therapy (nitroglycerine cream)
        Augment systolic dysfunction
        ACE inhibitors
        arterial vasodilators (other)
        digoxin
        restrict activity
        Treat thromboembolic disease if present
        (see link)
        Prevent thromboembolic disease
        (link)
        Treat the underlying etiology
        taurine supplementation
        250 to 500 mg PO (BID)
        treat for hyperthyroidism (link)
        Other measures
        low sodium diet (watch for refusal to eat)
        feed foods with enhanced taurine levels
        restrict activity
        after 4-6 weeks of combined congestive heart failure
        therapy, anticoagulant therapy and taurine
        supplementation, the cardiotonic agents may be
        discontinued in cases of taurine deficiency induced
        FDCM
        after 12-16 weeks of taurine supplementation, these
        cats were echocardiographically normal

        Susan