Dexter...

  • Beth
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2004
      Hi there!!
      Tomorrow I will have Dexter echoed for a grade 2 murmur....at OSU...one of the best cardiology dept that I have been to!! Some of you will remember Joey...my red tabby and white persian that died of chf hcm and other complications at Christmas....Dexter was a little kitten we got from the breeder...a black and white persian that is unrelated...to help stop all the tears... have been praying for all your kitties and ask that you please find it in your hearts to pray for Dexter...I find it so cruel that less than 5 months later we are facing the same situation..with yet another kitty that I have fallen in love with..I said to my daughter when Joey was diagnosed "why do we always get the broken ones...?" and she gave me a hug and said ...because you love them and know how to care for them and give them a chance instead of puting them to sleep....I know I am rambling...please think of us tomorrow...Dexter and my daughter.. My husband drove us 7 hours on New Years eve to pick up Dexter...as my daughter had not slep in 5 days ( she had always fallen asleep with Joey)
      kiss your kitties goodnight.. Beth and Dexter

    • Beth
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 2004
        Thank you for all the little kitty prayers and kind emails..
        Dexter had hs work up today...
        He does not have HCM.... he does have elongated mitral valves...very wierd!! ..I had never heard of that one!! They are about 2/3 longer than they should be...very strange..a congenital thing...they do not fit well causing some leaking and obstruction in his out flow..we are starting him on a low dose of atenolol and rechecking in 3 weeks with another ultrasound...the interesting thing about this abnormality is ...if we had problems at about a year from now and did not have the info we have ...he wold most likely have pesented as a HCM kitty...possibly in CHF ...the obstructive outflow would have enlarged and thickened the chamber....hopefully we can slow this all down and have him around alot longer (mabe 5 plus years)...it was very hard waiting there today with all my "Joey" memories..and although the news is much better...it is something we will have to be very careful of....not a lot of fluids if he ever needs surgery...etc.. He is actually a grade 3 murmur..not a 2..so again..thank you for all tthe kitty prayers ...and I will continue t be hoprful for all your little kitties!! Beth and Dexter