Re: Please Help: Aminophylline for CRF Cat w/Edema and Cancer

  • jen
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2004
      Carol,

      Aminophylline is used to dilate the aveolii ("breathing sacs") in the
      lungs; it is one of the old treatments for asthma that is rarely used now.
      I have never heard of it being used for fluid retention. Fluid usually
      accumulates in the lungs or the area around the lungs due to heart
      failure in kitties. It may also, more rarely, accumulate in the abdomen,
      known as ascites. Humans often get fluid in their limbs due to heart
      failure but I have not heard of this in cats before. I would consider
      asking your vet for lasix. It will help with fluid retention and has been
      shown to be extremely effective for hypertension in recent human
      studies. However, it is very hard on the kidneys, so depending on what
      part of the kidney the failure is in, it may be too hard on them. I know
      Sarah's Morag has recently begun taking spironolactone, another
      diuretic; perhaps your vet could also consider it.

      Take care and keep us updated,

      jen, deagan, kira and jessie the dogs
    • Steph
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2004
        We have several ppl who have attempted the heimlich maneuver in their
        pets for objects that aren't really lodged in their throats at all.. the
        result was pulmonary contusions resulting in the animal being
        hospitalized for extensive periods of time.. so please.. don't use this
        technique lightly.. you can do SEVERE damage to your dog or cat if ya
        don't know what you're doing. Humans are not dogs are not cats are not
        horses.

        :) *tosses in two cents*

        me :).

        Subject: [FH] FYI: CPR for animals

        http://members.aol.com/henryhbk/acpr.html

      • Susan
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2004
          --- jen <lundgren_jennifer@...> wrote:
          > Carol,
          >
          > Aminophylline is used to dilate the aveolii
          > ("breathing sacs") in the
          > lungs; it is one of the old treatments for asthma
          > that is rarely used now.
          > I have never heard of it being used for fluid
          > retention. Fluid usually
          > accumulates in the lungs or the area around the
          > lungs due to heart
          > failure in kitties. It may also, more rarely,
          > accumulate in the abdomen,
          > known as ascites.

          could this be for DCM?

          Found the following on VetGo Cardiology:

          How is feline dilated cardiomyopathy treated?

          Goals of therapy:

          Treat pulmonary edema/pleural effusion:
          thoracocentesis
          lasix
          aminophylline
          venodilator therapy (nitroglycerine cream)
          Augment systolic dysfunction
          ACE inhibitors
          arterial vasodilators (other)
          digoxin
          restrict activity
          Treat thromboembolic disease if present
          (see link)
          Prevent thromboembolic disease
          (link)
          Treat the underlying etiology
          taurine supplementation
          250 to 500 mg PO (BID)
          treat for hyperthyroidism (link)
          Other measures
          low sodium diet (watch for refusal to eat)
          feed foods with enhanced taurine levels
          restrict activity
          after 4-6 weeks of combined congestive heart failure
          therapy, anticoagulant therapy and taurine
          supplementation, the cardiotonic agents may be
          discontinued in cases of taurine deficiency induced
          FDCM
          after 12-16 weeks of taurine supplementation, these
          cats were echocardiographically normal

          Susan