FYI: CPR for animals

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2004
      http://members.aol.com/henryhbk/acpr.html

      This appears to be specifically for dogs. Perhaps it
      can be modified: small dog=cat.

      Susan

    • jen
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2004
        Carol,

        Aminophylline is used to dilate the aveolii ("breathing sacs") in the
        lungs; it is one of the old treatments for asthma that is rarely used now.
        I have never heard of it being used for fluid retention. Fluid usually
        accumulates in the lungs or the area around the lungs due to heart
        failure in kitties. It may also, more rarely, accumulate in the abdomen,
        known as ascites. Humans often get fluid in their limbs due to heart
        failure but I have not heard of this in cats before. I would consider
        asking your vet for lasix. It will help with fluid retention and has been
        shown to be extremely effective for hypertension in recent human
        studies. However, it is very hard on the kidneys, so depending on what
        part of the kidney the failure is in, it may be too hard on them. I know
        Sarah's Morag has recently begun taking spironolactone, another
        diuretic; perhaps your vet could also consider it.

        Take care and keep us updated,

        jen, deagan, kira and jessie the dogs
      • Steph
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2004
          We have several ppl who have attempted the heimlich maneuver in their
          pets for objects that aren't really lodged in their throats at all.. the
          result was pulmonary contusions resulting in the animal being
          hospitalized for extensive periods of time.. so please.. don't use this
          technique lightly.. you can do SEVERE damage to your dog or cat if ya
          don't know what you're doing. Humans are not dogs are not cats are not
          horses.

          :) *tosses in two cents*

          me :).

          Subject: [FH] FYI: CPR for animals

          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2004
            --- jen <lundgren_jennifer@...> wrote:
            > Carol,
            >
            > Aminophylline is used to dilate the aveolii
            > ("breathing sacs") in the
            > lungs; it is one of the old treatments for asthma
            > that is rarely used now.
            > I have never heard of it being used for fluid
            > retention. Fluid usually
            > accumulates in the lungs or the area around the
            > lungs due to heart
            > failure in kitties. It may also, more rarely,
            > accumulate in the abdomen,
            > known as ascites.

            could this be for DCM?

            Found the following on VetGo Cardiology:

            How is feline dilated cardiomyopathy treated?

            Goals of therapy:

            Treat pulmonary edema/pleural effusion:
            thoracocentesis
            lasix
            aminophylline
            venodilator therapy (nitroglycerine cream)
            Augment systolic dysfunction
            ACE inhibitors
            arterial vasodilators (other)
            digoxin
            restrict activity
            Treat thromboembolic disease if present
            (see link)
            Prevent thromboembolic disease
            (link)
            Treat the underlying etiology
            taurine supplementation
            250 to 500 mg PO (BID)
            treat for hyperthyroidism (link)
            Other measures
            low sodium diet (watch for refusal to eat)
            feed foods with enhanced taurine levels
            restrict activity
            after 4-6 weeks of combined congestive heart failure
            therapy, anticoagulant therapy and taurine
            supplementation, the cardiotonic agents may be
            discontinued in cases of taurine deficiency induced
            FDCM
            after 12-16 weeks of taurine supplementation, these
            cats were echocardiographically normal

            Susan