Please Help: Aminophylline for CRF Cat w/Edema and Cancer

  • tinkerbell_33060
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2004
      Samson has considerable edema in his rear paws, both leg and feet.
      The vet thinks it is from a very large tumor (it is huge, actually)
      cutting off his blood supply. However, it may be heart related, as
      Sam has some of those symptoms as well, not to mention high blood
      pressure at 205 for which he takes Norvasc. The blood pressure jumpe
      dup from 190 2 weeks ago to 205 as of yesterday. He has been
      sneezing for a week - I hear that is a heart issue/symptom. Anyway,
      despite his advanced cancer, I want to do something to give him as
      much quality time as he has left. I'm trying aminophylline for the
      edema, which the vet provided when I asked for heart meds. Can
      someone tell me about this drug, pls?

      Off topic, Sam is also having terrible constipation from the tumor
      pressing on his colon. Any ideas about what I can do about that?

      Thanx
      Carol
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2004
        http://members.aol.com/henryhbk/acpr.html

        This appears to be specifically for dogs. Perhaps it
        can be modified: small dog=cat.

        Susan

      • jen
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2004
          Carol,

          Aminophylline is used to dilate the aveolii ("breathing sacs") in the
          lungs; it is one of the old treatments for asthma that is rarely used now.
          I have never heard of it being used for fluid retention. Fluid usually
          accumulates in the lungs or the area around the lungs due to heart
          failure in kitties. It may also, more rarely, accumulate in the abdomen,
          known as ascites. Humans often get fluid in their limbs due to heart
          failure but I have not heard of this in cats before. I would consider
          asking your vet for lasix. It will help with fluid retention and has been
          shown to be extremely effective for hypertension in recent human
          studies. However, it is very hard on the kidneys, so depending on what
          part of the kidney the failure is in, it may be too hard on them. I know
          Sarah's Morag has recently begun taking spironolactone, another
          diuretic; perhaps your vet could also consider it.

          Take care and keep us updated,

          jen, deagan, kira and jessie the dogs
        • Steph
          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2004
            We have several ppl who have attempted the heimlich maneuver in their
            pets for objects that aren't really lodged in their throats at all.. the
            result was pulmonary contusions resulting in the animal being
            hospitalized for extensive periods of time.. so please.. don't use this
            technique lightly.. you can do SEVERE damage to your dog or cat if ya
            don't know what you're doing. Humans are not dogs are not cats are not
            horses.

            :) *tosses in two cents*

            me :).

            Subject: [FH] FYI: CPR for animals

            Message 5 of 5 , May 3, 2004
              --- jen <lundgren_jennifer@...> wrote:
              > Carol,
              >
              > Aminophylline is used to dilate the aveolii
              > ("breathing sacs") in the
              > lungs; it is one of the old treatments for asthma
              > that is rarely used now.
              > I have never heard of it being used for fluid
              > retention. Fluid usually
              > accumulates in the lungs or the area around the
              > lungs due to heart
              > failure in kitties. It may also, more rarely,
              > accumulate in the abdomen,
              > known as ascites.

              could this be for DCM?

              Found the following on VetGo Cardiology:

              How is feline dilated cardiomyopathy treated?

              Goals of therapy:

              Treat pulmonary edema/pleural effusion:
              thoracocentesis
              lasix
              aminophylline
              venodilator therapy (nitroglycerine cream)
              Augment systolic dysfunction
              ACE inhibitors
              arterial vasodilators (other)
              digoxin
              restrict activity
              Treat thromboembolic disease if present
              (see link)
              Prevent thromboembolic disease
              (link)
              Treat the underlying etiology
              taurine supplementation
              250 to 500 mg PO (BID)
              treat for hyperthyroidism (link)
              Other measures
              low sodium diet (watch for refusal to eat)
              feed foods with enhanced taurine levels
              restrict activity
              after 4-6 weeks of combined congestive heart failure
              therapy, anticoagulant therapy and taurine
              supplementation, the cardiotonic agents may be
              discontinued in cases of taurine deficiency induced
              FDCM
              after 12-16 weeks of taurine supplementation, these
              cats were echocardiographically normal

              Susan