Anesthesia for a 6mo Heart Murmur (1-3/6)?

  • Della Hengel
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2004
      I'm just curious what most folks would think is the most appropriate
      anesthesia for a kitten that was originally diagnosed as hydrocephalus, but
      ultimately has a heart murmur that ranges from 1-3 on a scale of 6,
      depending on her state of nervousness (her pulse is routinely in the 200-220
      range when she's nervous as well).

      She is a little over 4 lbs at 6 months old (she was born on or around
      October 20, 2003), and has always been what I tend to call "a kitten in
      miniature". She acts her age (and enjoys nipping at everyone's hocks, as
      that's where her head meets most of the other kitties legs!) and otherwise
      healthy.

      My vet and I have discussed a little about different anesthesia, and I will
      be going with what he is more comfortable with in this situation, as I do
      completely trust them (heck, I'm having her fixed at my full price vet that
      I take my permanents to, and Dawn is a foster, because they DO have the
      emergency equipment for just about anything that happens).

      I just want to know what other folks consider.

      Della

      Cat Haven, Inc
      A No-Kill Cat Rescue (501c3)
      Houston, Tx
      www.cat-haven.org
    • turkishangoraathumanesociety
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2004
        I would strongly suggest against any injectible anesthesia...my vet
        has on our chart (for ALL of our pets) NO INJECTIBLE ANESTHESIA
        EVER...He admits gas is safer...I would steer clear of any vet that
        has a problem with that, as they are likely letting their ego get in
        the way (ie: many do not like 'being told what to use'). Ketamine is
        probably the worst offender for heart patients. Gas gas only...and
        only where absolutely necessary. What I mean is...a heart kitty
        should never be anesthecized unless it is an urgent matter (not
        dental cleaning or other non urgent reasons people sedate these
        days). Good luck

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Della Hengel" <hengel@o...>
        wrote:
        > I'm just curious what most folks would think is the most appropriate
        > anesthesia for a kitten that was originally diagnosed as
        hydrocephalus, but
        > ultimately has a heart murmur that ranges from 1-3 on a scale of 6,
        > depending on her state of nervousness (her pulse is routinely in
        the 200-220
        > range when she's nervous as well).
        >
        > She is a little over 4 lbs at 6 months old (she was born on or
        around
        > October 20, 2003), and has always been what I tend to call "a
        kitten in
        > miniature". She acts her age (and enjoys nipping at everyone's
        hocks, as
        > that's where her head meets most of the other kitties legs!) and
        otherwise
        > healthy.
        >
        > My vet and I have discussed a little about different anesthesia,
        and I will
        > be going with what he is more comfortable with in this situation,
        as I do
        > completely trust them (heck, I'm having her fixed at my full price
        vet that
        > I take my permanents to, and Dawn is a foster, because they DO have
        the
        > emergency equipment for just about anything that happens).
        >
        > I just want to know what other folks consider.
        >
        > Della
        >

        > Cat Haven, Inc
        > A No-Kill Cat Rescue (501c3)
        > Houston, Tx
        > www.cat-haven.org
      • Susan Aufieri
        Message 3 of 3 , May 4, 2004
          Reminds me of Abby's former vet wanting to subject her to a full
          endoscopy procedure under anesthesia. I told him he was going to have
          to do a "heck of a song and dance" to convince me that a 14 year old
          hear kitty should get scoped for IBD when there are other ways to rule
          it in/out. Needless to say, she's got a new group of vets at the helm.

          Any procedure, from routine shots to dental cleaning to
          surgery/anesthesia always carries some risk.

          Susan & Abby, 14 y.o. with HCM w/tachycardia, Grade 3 murmur, sometimes
          pancreatic, IBD (?) tabby that suffers from peripheral neuropathy, can
          go anorexic and is NOW Hyper-T to boot; daily meds 12.5 mg Lasix,
          12.5mg atenolol, 5mg Methamazole, thiamine sub-q's. (gadz that's a
          mouthful!)