HELP PLS! New Member w/Kitty Crisis/excessive fluid retention

  • tinkerbell_33060
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2 5:39 PM
      My 17 yr old cat, Samson, has chronic renal failure, hypertension,
      and cancer. We've known about the hypertension and treated it
      intermittently over the years with Norvasc. We just learned about
      the crf in March, along with the cancer with started in his rear
      leg. An x-ray reveals a very very large tumor (cannot be treated).
      His vet also indicated there is a heart murmur and possible HCM
      problem. No medications were given beyond Norvasc as the crf would
      likely worsen under the burden of his kidneys processing more
      medications. For the last 6 weeks, Samson gets sub-q fluids every
      other day and I understand this can be bad for a heart condition. On
      Sat., the day after a sub-q treatment, , I noticed his right rear paw
      (the cancer side) was very swollen right up thru his thigh. The
      other hind leg swelled up later in the day and both paws were bad and
      have continued that way. His new vet saw him today (Sun.) and said
      the swelling could be fluid from a heart-related condition or else
      the tumor is cutting his circulation and causing the swelling. After
      looking at Sam's x-ray w/the tumor, however, he said he felt it was
      the cancer because of the size of the tumor and not heart related. I
      am wondering how he could be so certain of that? This evening, I see
      that Sam's front paws are ALSO beginning to bother him and show some
      signs of mild swelling. Can someone tell me what are the
      characteristics of HCM -- how might it manifest itself?

      I'm sorry this was so lengthy, but I am desperate because I think Sam
      is at risk of not surviving much longer if this is heart related. If
      it's cancer, I have to deal with that differently. Thank you for
      your help.

      Carol
    • brinkett
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2 6:54 PM
        > This evening, I see
        > that Sam's front paws are ALSO beginning to bother him and show
        some
        > signs of mild swelling. Can someone tell me what are the
        > characteristics of HCM -- how might it manifest itself?
        >
        > I'm sorry this was so lengthy, but I am desperate because I think
        Sam
        > is at risk of not surviving much longer if this is heart related.
        If
        > it's cancer, I have to deal with that differently. Thank you for
        > your help.

        I'm sorry to hear about your Sam and all of his problems.

        Fluid resulting from congestive heart failure usually accumulates in
        or around the lungs.

        If you want to get a clear picture of what is going on with Sam's
        heart so you can understand whether the heart is contributing in any
        way to his symptoms, the best thing to do is to have an ultrasound
        of the heart done.

        Sarah.