Angel Meatball

  • Pat
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2004
      Meatball was diagnosed with restrictive cardiomyopathy and CHF the
      middle of february. He died this afternoon at the emergency vet
      clinic. He was fine this morning...no difficulty breathing. I went
      grocery shopping for a couple of hours and when I returned home he was
      open mouth breathing a slight bit. I watching for a short time because
      sometimes he stops breathing open mouthed. If he's purring loudly he
      open mouth breaths. Well it was continuing so I used some oxygen on
      him using a human adult mask. It helped a little when he was using it.
      Once I took it off him he was getting worse. So I called the emergency
      clinic and took him there. Meatball was coughing and drooling and
      crying loudly and couldn't get comfortable in his carrier.. I knew he
      was very very critical. It's the worst I've ever seen him. The vet put
      him in the oxygen cage when he got to the clinic. I told her his right
      side of the chest needed to be tapped right away. I don't think she
      moved quickly enough to begin doing that. I could tell he was down to
      just minutes. It was a good 10 minutes that we were in the hospital
      before she shaved his right side. Then she said Meatball went into
      respiratory arrest and cardiac arrest. She was trying to revive him
      when I came in to the room. She worked on him for a few minutes and I
      told her to stop and let him go.
      I want to thank everyone for the advice they gave me. When I can I am
      going to get Meatball's brother's and sister's heart ultrasounded. His
      brother will be first. First I have to pay a huge vet bill from my 3
      pets that have died in the last 3 months.

      Pat