Chylothorax

  • Stefanie Daratony
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2004
      Hello,
      My 10 year old cat Luther was just diagnosed with chylothorax
      yesterday. Up until this year, he had been the picture of health
      but was diagnosed with diabetes in January and I've been dealing
      with that. Then, just 3 days ago, I noticed that he was having
      trouble breathing. The vet took a chest x-ray and drew fluid
      (chyle) from his lungs (or thereabouts). She told me the lab
      results indicated that it is not cancerous nor is there an
      infection. She told me it could be from trauma (although I don't
      know how that could have happened). From what she told me and from
      the little I've read about it so far, there seems to be little that
      can be done. I read that it can spontaneously resolve itself but is
      usually fatal. My vet recommended bringing him in next week to
      have the fluid drained again and then if that is no longer working,
      possibly having a shunt put in. I also read that there is a drug
      that researchers have been looking into- my vet did not mention it.
      I don't know anything about this. Does anyone have any experience
      with this? I love my cat so much and I'm not ready to say goodbye
      to him.
      thanks,
      Stefanie