Re: [FH] Question - coping

  • Linda Fischbach
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 27, 2004
      Janice, I know others will have different ideas, but we haven't slept away
      from our home since 1998. I have had several sick cats during that time.
      Since Mittens has had CRF and HCM I haven't been away from him for more than
      6 hours (this can be difficult since town is an hour away). I also get up
      during the night to feed him. But it's worth it -- he's doing great.

      But, we really don't have any family, my friends are on the internet, and
      are very happy at home; that makes a big difference.

      Linda

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 27, 2004
        Janice,
        I really have to echo Linda. Simba had RCM and I was
        not away from him for more than a few hours from the
        day he was diagnosed. I had a couple trips planned
        that my boyfriend went on without me and I worked as
        much from home as possible. I eventually left my job
        (within a couple months). It was worth it and I have
        no regrets. My priority was to spend time with Simba
        and to take care of him. I would do anything to have
        my little boy back and that lifestyle of sticking to
        the house. We had many special moments during that
        time that I will treasure forever.

        Others, even family and friends would not see changes
        in his condition, I could not think about leaving him
        with someone else. I was lucky to be in a position to
        leave my job and my boyfriend (live in boyfriend) was
        very supportive. Those times when I did have to go out
        for a few hours he worked his schedule to be home for
        Simba. Between the two of us we rarely left him alone.

        Bonnie

      • mainecoonsusa@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 27, 2004
          In a message dated 4/27/2004 9:01:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          autumncat@... writes:
          What I would like some feedback on is how do you all cope with everyday life
          and the commitment to your HCM cat and treatment.
          I am lucky that Connor is easy to pill.. I have a cat sitter who is very
          good, too, but she's not cheap.

          So I don't go away much anymore either. Not totally because of Connor's
          health, though. I bought a condo last year so am feeling a bit housepoor as well.

          But even when I do go away, I tend to worry so much about Connor that I can't
          wait to get home.

          I have no vacations planned this year excpet maybe going away for a long
          weekend.

          JoAnn & Connor

          1/2 30 mg Diltiazem 2x a day
          1/2 of 2.5 mg Enalalpril daily
          12.5 mg Lasix daily
          low dose enteric coated Aspirin 2x a week for HCM

          2 puffs AM, 1 puff PM 110 Flovent for Asthma

        • brinkett
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 27, 2004
            For us, it depends on what the possibility is that one of the cats
            could go into crisis while we're away. We won't do any travelling
            at this point until Morag has passed away. Because she could have a
            crisis (or even die) at anytime, I just can't leave her. I also
            wouldn't feel right boarding her at the vet where she would be stuck
            in a cage all the time. I want her home in her favorite places as
            much as possible given that her life expectancy isn't very good at
            this point.

            I wouldn't think it fair to have friends or a cat sitter take care
            of her either because it's within the realm of possibility that they
            would have to handle a crisis (or worse). We'd come rushing home at
            that point anyway, no matter where we were, so we might as well stay
            here. And frankly they wouldn't know what to look out for in terms
            of fluid accumulation and I wouldn't want them feeling guilty
            because something happened on their watch.

            When we had a diabetic cat, we did travel because she was stable.

            So as I said, it depends on the situation.

            Sarah.
          • Heather Grace
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 27, 2004
              Hi Sarah,

              I wouldn't want to board Purcy at the vets either, but if I
              absolutely *had* to travel and Purcy was stable, I would board him.
              I have a friend who works in the kennel part of the vet clinic and
              she says that all the pets who are there, even the ones who are only
              stuck there for the day, get lots of attention. Everyone there loves
              Purcy, especially his vet, but I have to admit that the feeling isn't
              mutual with Purcy. And I don't want to stress him out if I can help
              it.

              Heather & Purcy

              =====
              Purcy: Male Himalayan, diagnosed 07-2003 at 6 years of age with HCM
              with severe mitral valve regurgitation and mild left atrial
              enlargement, slight pericardial effusion: grade 3 murmur Left apical
              & grade 2 Right sided systolic murmur, Enalapril Maleate 1.25 mg 1x
              day, Furosemide (Lasix) 6.25 mg 2x day, 1 aspirin 81 mg every three
              days administered via pilling.

              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "brinkett" wrote:
              > I also
              > wouldn't feel right boarding her at the vet where she would be
              stuck
              > in a cage all the time. I want her home in her favorite places as
              > much as possible given that her life expectancy isn't very good at
              > this point.
            • brinkett
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 28, 2004
                Hi Heather,

                If I *had* to travel, like to attend a funeral or something like
                that, I would board Morag at the vet's office because it would be
                the best place for her. But I wouldn't choose to travel at this
                time given that she is so prone to developing fluid. Like you, if I
                felt Morag was stable and there wasn't much chance of anything
                happening, I would probably board her at the vet's but for no longer
                than a long weekend.

                Sarah.

                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Heather Grace" <seasaidh@c...>
                wrote:
                > Hi Sarah,
                >
                > I wouldn't want to board Purcy at the vets either, but if I
                > absolutely *had* to travel and Purcy was stable, I would board
                him.
                > I have a friend who works in the kennel part of the vet clinic and
                > she says that all the pets who are there, even the ones who are
                only
                > stuck there for the day, get lots of attention. Everyone there
                loves
                > Purcy, especially his vet, but I have to admit that the feeling
                isn't
                > mutual with Purcy. And I don't want to stress him out if I can
                help
                > it.
                >
                > Heather & Purcy
              • Michelle Waters
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 28, 2004
                  Hi Janice,

                  First off, I have a trick which makes giving pills to cats easier: I take some butter and with my finger put it around the pill, then with the thumb & index finger of one hand hold Goldenrod's mouth open while with the other hand I put the butter-coated pill in the back of his mouth. Then I close his mouth and rub his throat to stimulate his swallowing reflex. With this method I've been able to pill cats that are really difficult (I do pet sitting so I've been in this situation a bit). I hope this helps and that you are able to manage this by yourself.

                  As for coping and being able to go away sometimes, Goldenrod threw a clot last October, and he's still with us, so we're having to deal with this issue as well. At Christmas we told our families (who are in L.A., we're in the Bay Area) that we needed to stay home to take care of Goldenrod, because at that point he was having wet-to-dry bandage changes on his leg every day (the clot settled in his calf muscle which he lost, and we were trying to save the leg, which we did by keeping a close watch on things).

                  Earlier this month my sister-in-law got married in England (where she lives). The whole family was going over. We got our tickets last Fall before the clot-throwing incident. We didn't feel great about leaving Goldie but couldn't refund our tickets, and besides, it was a family wedding and a big deal. Fortunately I have a wonderful neighbor who used to be a vet tech. She and I have been trading animal care for years and we trust her implicitly. She's the only person besides our vets and my husband that I would trust with my cats. I was concerned about her having to deal with the possibility of something happening to Goldie while we were gone so we talked about it and she said she fully understood the possibilities and was prepared to deal with whatever came up. So we went and I was nervous almost the entire time. I had bad dreams about the cats while in England. We were gone for 9 days and came back not a moment to soon because the day before we got back Goldie started getting
                  really depressed and stopped eating. My neighbor figured that it was because we were gone, and she was right, because once we were back he became much happier and started eating again.

                  So now we are not going to both be away at the same time. Goldenrod is too dependent on us and his HCM is worsening so he needs one of us to be there. I have to go to L.A. because my dad is sick, and my husband is staying home with the cats (only 3 days, and he's just as good with Goldie as I am, if not better).

                  This is just how we've been coping; I don't have any brilliant advice for you really. It's a lot of work being a caretaker and sometimes exhausting. I wish you luck finding a solution that works for you and your husband.

                  Michelle

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 30, 2004
                    Just a reminder to all that even if you give your cat a pill/capsule, it
                    must be followed by a "chaser" (a syringe of water or liquidy babyfood) to
                    be sure the pill gets into the stomach and doesn't get stuck on the way.

                    Linda

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 2 3:50 PM
                      We have been very blessed because we've had the most wonderful cat sitter
                      for the last 6 years. She comes and lives in our homes and the cats know
                      and love her and we trust her implicitly. Since Max was diagnosed w/HCM, we
                      haven't ventured too far--we did have to go from AZ to TX in Dec because my
                      father unexpectedly passed away. I had to stay two weeks but my husband
                      just came for about 5 days. We also have a 20 year old cat who is very
                      healthy (knock on wood)....but she's 20 so.... We had planned to leave today
                      for a week in Hawaii for our 20th wedding anniversary because everyone is
                      doing well (again, knock on wood). However, our pet sitter had a friend
                      (with no remaining family) become quite ill and is in ICU in Phoenix (we
                      live in Tucson). So our pet sitter was going to go back and forth every
                      day--still spending the nights here. We were very uncomfortable with being
                      so far away and with her having to deal with the stress of her friend's
                      illness so we cancelled our trip. It's much more important to us that
                      SOMEONE who knows Max is here or around most of the time and we felt it was
                      too much burden for her to worry about her friend and our cats. She is
                      crushed that we cancelled but we are not--my husband said "I could not have
                      a good time in HI worrying about Max every minute".....before I even could
                      say it.

                      Will we try to go again? Well, our next time off is end of August. If all
                      his tests remain good during the summer and he's doing well, we'll try. But
                      everything will have to be just perfect or we'll stay home. We figure we're
                      happiest here anyway :)))

                      Marjorie
                      Sitka,Teddi,Gus,and Max