To all the Worriers...

  • Polis, Karen [CNTUS]
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2001
      I know you all love your cats deeply, as I too do, but don't forget- your
      own health is being jeopardized by so much worrying. And it is not always
      the best thing for your cats. Animals are very sensitive to the vibes we
      emit, and not being relaxed around them probably upsets them more then we
      realize. My (unsolicited) advice would be to learn the facts, write down any
      emergency instructions or wishes so you know they can be carried out in your
      absence, medicate your cats as needed, then sit back and enjoy the time you
      have with them- play, cuddle, just watch- but let them be cats.

      -Karen
    • jwarner310@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2001
        Maybe I need to clarify that I am not that BAD!! I do exactly what
        you suggested but just go a little too far out of the way to
        accomodate the Dom. But, hey, my kids were spoiled when they were
        young too. Just my nature and I am sure Dom doesn't mind! As far as
        the worrying goes, I will always find something to worry about and it
        changes day to day. I sure have accepted that Dom has this disease
        and he will be pampered as long as we have him and I suppose because
        the kids are grown up and gone, he will be the target of my worry
        from time to time. He is doing so well that I usually forget about
        his health except for meds, etc. I am 1 of the very fortunate ones
        that haven't had any real problems since diagnosis and Dom is a very
        content and happy cat. He is whacking the keyboard keys and purring
        as I type this-he loves the laptop (probably really the heat from
        it!). My type of worry just generates more attention to him and he
        seems to handle that real well! I do know what you mean about
        real "stress" as when my father in law had cancer, we could tell that
        Dom knew something was wrong around here. They do sense that but not
        just everyday concern! I suppose there are many different levels of
        worrying.

        Jeanne

      • brunobaby@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2001
          Karen Polis wrote:

          >Animals are very sensitive to the vibes we
          >emit, and not being relaxed around them probably upsets them more
          >then we realize.

          Something we have to remind ourselves when we're whirling around
          Pongo like dervishes going "Don't Panic!" Don't Panic!" because he's
          doing something life-threatening, like balking at a med-infused treat.

          Whereupon he slinks away like a bug, probably thinking that humans
          are insane and if only he could open cans by himself, it would be a
          perfect world.

          This is when we have to remind ourselves that whatever it was that
          caused Pongo's heart attack, it was most likely *not* being a half-
          hour late with a dosage, and that a cat is not Ghandi -- unless it's
          desperately ill, it will eventually *eat*. And usually what you don't
          want it to.

          We're not sure what caused or will cause a heart attack in our cats,
          but we have more than a passing clue now as to what will cause one in
          us.

          --Melinda
        • Mike & Linda Irrgang
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 6, 2001
            yes, you are right....however, it has helped me just to read that i'm not
            the only compulsive, obsessive worrier and if it hadn't been for this
            website then i'd never have had the opportunity to read it....and also, alot
            of other info came out about the living wills and the suggestions and that
            was helpful for me too....when you are away from close friends and family it
            helps to have places like this to help one thru the difficult moments and
            also the less difficult moments where thoughts are just shared.....it means
            so much to me to have the feline egroups candid atmosphere where anything
            can be shared....

            linda