Nutritional supplements for feline cardiomyopathy

  • Voula Augerinos
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2001
      > Hi everyone,
      > in FOUR PAWS FIVE DIRECTIONS, by Cheryl Schwartz DVM, the following
      > are recommended for feline cardiomyopathy.
      >
      > Taurine - 250-500mg daily, depending on the size of the cat.
      > Co-enzymeQ10 - 10mg twice daily.
      > Chlorophyll and/or Microalgae - for B complex and for nervous tension:
      1/16
      > to 1/8 teaspoon.
      > Quercitin and Bromelin, 125-500mg, twice daily, to help absorption of
      > Vitamin C, and to enhance breathing.
      > Vitamin C : 250-500mg, twice daily, if not experiencing diarrhea.
      > (My point here : I was told by homeopathic vet to use non acidic Vitamin
      > is kitty has CRF (kidney disease), less harsh on tummy I believe, and if
      > using homeopathy, as acidic Vitamin C will counteract homeopathy.)
      > Vitamin E : Very small doses, 25 IU every other day, to help reduce
      > cholesterol.
      > (My point : too much Vitamin E may increase blood pressure.)
      > Lecithin Granules : to help with fat metabolism: Half teaspoon daily.
      > Trace minerals, as seaweeds.
      >
      > Love, Voula and Pebbles and Lucy and my Beautiful Angel Sachie.
      >
      > http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
      > (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)
    • Mike & Linda Irrgang
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2001
        but isn't there recent research that shows that too much vit c increases
        clogging of arteries?

        taurine: is that in addition to what is already in their cat food, like
        Science Diet???

        linda

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2001
          Hi Linda,

          > but isn't there recent research that shows that too much vit c increases
          > clogging of arteries?
          that is interesting. I haven't given Pebbles vitamin C. I haven't
          given all the supplements recommended by Cheryl Schwartz DVM. I just copied
          the list as it was in her book, "Four Paws Five Directions" to give people
          the information. Of course everyone should check with their vets as to what
          is appropriate. The herbal vet said that low stress was important in heart
          disease, so not to overdo the pilling and supplments and cause stress. The
          stress could outweigh the benefits of the supplements.

          > taurine: is that in addition to what is already in their cat food, like
          > Science Diet???
          I don't know about this either. Gee I don't know much at all. (Smile!)
          Love, Voula.