Re: Worried Catmom Syndrome

  • jwarner310@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 4, 2001
      Gee, wouldn't that be great if we actually could do that? And
      wouldn't it be nice if we all lived in the same neighborhood so we
      could watch over each others cats? Gee, I would love to sit with
      Pebbles, Pum, Pongo, Kassy, Angel Lynx, Angel Sachie, and all of the
      others I read about on the list! And I may actually stop calling home
      and talking to the answering machine so Dom can hear my voice if I
      thought 1 of you fellow worrying cat moms was in charge. <G> I trust
      my son but he is 27 and not Doms favorite person since he only sees
      him infrequently. Plus he is not into the "cardiac cat" as he calls
      Dom. He just doesn't get it! I do have a letter on file at my vets
      office with my wishes outlined if something should happen to Dom
      while I am away though. I also have a copy here in case he should
      need to be taken to the emergency vet who wouldn't have acess to my
      vets letter immediately. I am prepared! Sort of like a living will
      for Dom--I know I have lost it! But, I feel better this way! Did any
      of you do this too?

      Just LMK the day that I am to take on all worries with Pebbles! I am
      always available!

      Jeanne

      --- In feline-heart@y..., "Voula Augerinos" <catwoman1@i...> wrote:
      > Dear Jeanne,
      > I can really relate to your post! Would you mind if I planned
      a day of
      > no worry, and gave the worry to you just for that day! LOL! I will
      return
      > the favour of course!
      > Love, Voula and Pebbles and Lucy and my Beautiful Angel Sachie.
      >
      > http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
      > (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)
      >
      > > I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
      > > having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be
      glad
      > > to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
      > > would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>
      > >
      > > Off to relax!
      > > Jeanne
    • Voula Augerinos
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 5, 2001
        Hi Jeanne,
        what an excellent idea to have instructions filed at your vets in case
        you are away.
        I think I will let you know a day when I need some stress relief. I
        mean most days I need stress relief! LOL! But I will wait for a day when I
        could do with it even more!

        http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
        (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)

        > Just LMK the day that I am to take on all worries with Pebbles! I am
        > always available!
        >
        > Jeanne
      • Laura Penny
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 5, 2001
          Jeanne,

          We did the "living will" thing when we went on our honeymoon 14 years ago.
          We specified that they should receive any care necessary, but no euthanasia
          until we were contacted to discuss the situation.

          We also did our real will just before we left. We specified the type of care
          the cats should get, the guardian (my mom), and the amount of money. They
          get the first chunk of money.

          Wanna hear the really sad part? We now have two children (and another pet),
          but haven't updated our will. We just can't decide on an appropriate
          guardian. So I guess the cats will be swimming in dough and pay for
          Courtney, Jon, and Nicky.

          We REALLY need to get our acts together, especially since we're thinking of
          adopting a baby this year!

          Laura, nonworried humanmom

        • jwarner310@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 5, 2001
            Laura,

            I love it! The cats are provided for and not the human children--oh
            well, like you said the cats will take good care of them! LOL

            So cute!!

            Jeanne

          • Mike & Linda Irrgang
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
              hi jeanne,

              well, michael has told me that he has a 2 wk seminar to attend in france
              this summer and i am agonizing over that bec i can't imagine leaving pum
              with a caregiver that long...my neighbor had the poor judgement to suggest
              "a kennel"....and we all nearly had cardiac failure on the spot...i would
              never even consider that as an option....so now i might have a friend who
              will come catsit and that would be the only reasonable option as far as i'm
              considered and then of course i call at least twice a day to be sure he's
              ok....

              and you are right...first i turned grayheaded and now i'm losing my hair
              ....too much worrying here...i probably need to go into therapy!

              purrs to you,

              linda and the boys

              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                ooooooohhhhhhhhhh, pls include me.....

                linda

                I can really relate to your post! Would you mind if I planned a day of
                no worry, and gave the worry to you just for that day! LOL! I will return
                the favour of course!

                http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
                (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)

                > I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
                > having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be glad
                > to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
                > would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>
                >
                > Off to relax!
                > Jeanne

              • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                  oooohhhh, this sounds great...what about someone pitching the idea for a pet
                  friendly retirement community of pet lovers or else we could just make a
                  list of where we all live and if we had to "go away" for some reason, we
                  could babysit each other's pet if we are close enough to each other?? i
                  guess i don't count, being in jamaica....but wouldn't that be a neat thing
                  to be able to do...???? any ideas?? and with time the list might
                  grow....didn't someone in seattle area have this kind of thing being set
                  up??? i'm pretty sure that i saw it about a year in some posting...

                  linda

                  Gee, wouldn't that be great if we actually could do that? And
                  wouldn't it be nice if we all lived in the same neighborhood so we
                  could watch over each others cats? Gee, I would love to sit with
                  Pebbles, Pum, Pongo, Kassy, Angel Lynx, Angel Sachie, and all of the
                  others I read about on the list! And I may actually stop calling home
                  and talking to the answering machine so Dom can hear my voice if I
                  thought 1 of you fellow worrying cat moms was in charge. <G> I trust
                  my son but he is 27 and not Doms favorite person since he only sees
                  him infrequently. Plus he is not into the "cardiac cat" as he calls
                  Dom. He just doesn't get it! I do have a letter on file at my vets
                  office with my wishes outlined if something should happen to Dom
                  while I am away though. I also have a copy here in case he should
                  need to be taken to the emergency vet who wouldn't have acess to my
                  vets letter immediately. I am prepared! Sort of like a living will
                  for Dom--I know I have lost it! But, I feel better this way! Did any
                  of you do this too?

                  Just LMK the day that I am to take on all worries with Pebbles! I am
                  always available!

                  Jeanne

                  --- In feline-heart@y..., "Voula Augerinos" <catwoman1@i...> wrote:
                  > Dear Jeanne,
                  > I can really relate to your post! Would you mind if I planned
                  a day of
                  > no worry, and gave the worry to you just for that day! LOL! I will
                  return
                  > the favour of course!
                  > Love, Voula and Pebbles and Lucy and my Beautiful Angel Sachie.
                  >
                  > http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
                  > (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)
                  >
                  > > I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
                  > > having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be
                  glad
                  > > to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
                  > > would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>
                  > >
                  > > Off to relax!
                  > > Jeanne

                • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                    well, i'm impressed...i don't know what to do about pumpkin being in our
                    situation...any suggestions?

                    linda

                  • jwarner310@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                      Hi Linda!

                      Two weeks!! How awful! No way could I handle that one! And I am
                      fretting over 2 nights! LOL I keep telling Wayne that vacations are
                      on hold until something happens to Dom---I know this is crazy
                      but.....that's me! And a kennel! I bet you just about hit the floor!
                      They don't know you very well, huh? I know I would never suggest that
                      to anyone of us!

                      Well, we will all be here to help you through the France trip. (It
                      does sound great though!) I know you will agonize over this one for
                      awhile!

                    • Polis, Karen [CNTUS]
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                        Make sure you try "crepe avec Nutella" at any streetside vendor. It's the
                        best!

                        Two weeks!! How awful! No way could I handle that one! And I am
                        fretting over 2 nights! LOL I keep telling Wayne that vacations are
                        on hold until something happens to Dom---I know this is crazy
                        but.....that's me! And a kennel! I bet you just about hit the floor!
                        They don't know you very well, huh? I know I would never suggest that
                        to anyone of us!

                        Well, we will all be here to help you through the France trip. (It
                        does sound great though!) I know you will agonize over this one for
                        awhile!

                        Jeanne

                        --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
                        > hi jeanne,
                        >
                        > well, michael has told me that he has a 2 wk seminar to attend in
                        france
                        > this summer and i am agonizing over that bec i can't imagine
                        leaving pum
                        > with a caregiver that long...my neighbor had the poor judgement to
                        suggest
                        > "a kennel"....and we all nearly had cardiac failure on the spot...i
                        would
                        > never even consider that as an option....so now i might have a
                        friend who
                        > will come catsit and that would be the only reasonable option as
                        far as i'm
                        > considered and then of course i call at least twice a day to be
                        sure he's
                        > ok....
                        >
                        > and you are right...first i turned grayheaded and now i'm losing my
                        hair
                        > ....too much worrying here...i probably need to go into therapy!
                        >
                        > purrs to you,
                        >
                        > linda and the boys

                      • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 7, 2001
                          i personally like to eat nutella right out of the jar....yes, i know that's
                          awful!....to me the best is being able to buy hot chestnuts on a cold, cold
                          day when you're walking around the city....in Paris my favorite forever
                          place to go is outside Pere LaChaise cemetery, buy the chestnuts and then go
                          walking....did you know that Jim Morrison is buried there...ok, this isn't a
                          feline topic but it's good therapy for this worried mom....

                          purrzles to you,
                          linda and the boys

                          Make sure you try "crepe avec Nutella" at any streetside vendor. It's the
                          best!

                          Two weeks!! How awful! No way could I handle that one! And I am
                          fretting over 2 nights! LOL I keep telling Wayne that vacations are
                          on hold until something happens to Dom---I know this is crazy
                          but.....that's me! And a kennel! I bet you just about hit the floor!
                          They don't know you very well, huh? I know I would never suggest that
                          to anyone of us!

                          Well, we will all be here to help you through the France trip. (It
                          does sound great though!) I know you will agonize over this one for
                          awhile!

                          Jeanne

                          --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
                          > hi jeanne,
                          >
                          > well, michael has told me that he has a 2 wk seminar to attend in
                          france
                          > this summer and i am agonizing over that bec i can't imagine
                          leaving pum
                          > with a caregiver that long...my neighbor had the poor judgement to
                          suggest
                          > "a kennel"....and we all nearly had cardiac failure on the spot...i
                          would
                          > never even consider that as an option....so now i might have a
                          friend who
                          > will come catsit and that would be the only reasonable option as
                          far as i'm
                          > considered and then of course i call at least twice a day to be
                          sure he's
                          > ok....
                          >
                          > and you are right...first i turned grayheaded and now i'm losing my
                          hair
                          > ....too much worrying here...i probably need to go into therapy!
                          >
                          > purrs to you,
                          >
                          > linda and the boys

                        • Polis, Karen [CNTUS]
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 8, 2001
                            When I went to France at age 15 I specifically "made" my exchange family
                            take me to see Jim's grave!

                            Make sure you try "crepe avec Nutella" at any streetside vendor. It's the
                            best!

                            Two weeks!! How awful! No way could I handle that one! And I am
                            fretting over 2 nights! LOL I keep telling Wayne that vacations are
                            on hold until something happens to Dom---I know this is crazy
                            but.....that's me! And a kennel! I bet you just about hit the floor!
                            They don't know you very well, huh? I know I would never suggest that
                            to anyone of us!

                            Well, we will all be here to help you through the France trip. (It
                            does sound great though!) I know you will agonize over this one for
                            awhile!

                            Jeanne

                            --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
                            > hi jeanne,
                            >
                            > well, michael has told me that he has a 2 wk seminar to attend in
                            france
                            > this summer and i am agonizing over that bec i can't imagine
                            leaving pum
                            > with a caregiver that long...my neighbor had the poor judgement to
                            suggest
                            > "a kennel"....and we all nearly had cardiac failure on the spot...i
                            would
                            > never even consider that as an option....so now i might have a
                            friend who
                            > will come catsit and that would be the only reasonable option as
                            far as i'm
                            > considered and then of course i call at least twice a day to be
                            sure he's
                            > ok....
                            >
                            > and you are right...first i turned grayheaded and now i'm losing my
                            hair
                            > ....too much worrying here...i probably need to go into therapy!
                            >
                            > purrs to you,
                            >
                            > linda and the boys

                          • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 8, 2001
                              it's an amazing place.....

                            • brunobaby@earthlink.net
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 8, 2001
                                Karen wrote:

                                > When I went to France at age 15 I specifically "made" my exchange
                                >family take me [to Pere Lachaise cemetary] to see Jim's grave!

                                I was there in '87. There were young people from all over the world
                                having sort of a picnic there. There were a couple of students from
                                Germany who didn't understand a lot of English, but they
                                understood "I went down to the kitchen and got myself some beer."

                                To bring this back around to cats, <G> mine were young at the time,
                                and problem-free, with my next-door neighbor checking in on them a
                                couple of times a day while I was on vacation. However, Pongo would
                                still leave mementoes around the house for me to find when I got
                                back, to show me exactly what he thought about "deserting" him.

                                While in England and France, I bought a couple of cans of cat food,
                                not so much to feed to my cats but so that I could show
                                people, "Look, I've got cat food from France." After a few of days of
                                hauling them around in my backpack, I realized how inane this idea
                                was, and just saved the labels instead.

                                I still have the label from "Spillers Kattomeat with Rabbit," because
                                it has a white cat on the label who looks like Phoebe.

                                Karen, thanks for all the vet info.

                                --Melinda