Aspirin question

  • Dee Dalton
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2004
      Jess,

      My Gorham takes enteric-coated Bayer 81 mg (whole) every third
      day.according to instructions from his cardiologist. He has had no
      obvious side effects.and just had a blood chemistry done which was
      normal.

      I cannot say if your vet is confused about 81 mg vs regular aspirin, but
      it seems logical that if you cut an enteric-coated aspirin, you have
      removed its gastro-protective properties. I'm sure your vet made an
      incorrect statement by accident. Anyone can say words that don't
      correlate with what the brain is thinking. Good for you that you
      questioned the instructions you received.

      All the best to you and Max,
      Dee

      Message: 6
      Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:57:37 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Jess <metpecker@...>
      Subject: Asprin question...

      Hello All,
      My vet recently advised me to start giving my three
      year old Max asprin twice a week in addition to his
      daily 30mg dose of diltiazem. I bought a package of
      low dose, 81mg coated asprin, and I'm confused about
      the dosage. When I called the vet today, I was told
      to to give Max the entire 81mg pill, but when I was in
      the office last week, my vet told me to cut the asprin
      into quarters. Do you all think that maybe he meant
      cutting a higher mg asprin into quarters? Do any of
      you give your cats a full 81mg dosage, or does that
      sound like way too much? Its not that I don't trust
      my vet, I'm just confused, and I really don't want to
      over do medicate my little guy. Thanks for any advice
      you can give.
      - Jess & Furbaby Max