Re: Worried Catmom Syndrome

  • jwarner310@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 4, 2001
      I have to be certain that I am counted in the worrying cat moms too!
      I can keep right up with the rest of you and I haven't even had a
      problem with Dom so far! By the time that we get to the point where
      you guys have all been, I won't have a hair left on my head! LOL

      I, too cater to the Doms every whim and alot of whims that he doesn't
      even have! I never go out without having a radio playing for him. We
      have the lights all on timers so Dom isn't in the dark. Plus I have
      not spent the night away from him in over a year. DH has 2
      overnighters planned this spring and I am struggling to tell myself
      that it will be fine even when I have my son coming in twice a day to
      give Dom his meds etc. I watch the poor guy like a hawk and call the
      vet any time that I think I see anything out of the norm. Thank
      heavens my regular vet is very tolerant and concerned about Dom too!
      I think he is her only feline cardiac patient right now!

      I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
      having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be glad
      to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
      would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>

      Off to relax!
      Jeanne

      --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
      > i enjoyed reading this...thx for sharing!
      >
      > linda and the boys

      I'll be
      > happy if she makes it to the average cat lifespan of 15."
      >
      > So I started counting back from 15 to see how many years she could
      possibly
      > have left.
      >
      > Now I'm at negative 1.5! I've never had a cat live this long...and
      now I
      > have two 16.5 year olds. As my husband said, those cats
      live "charmed
      > lives."
      >
      > Laura, Lucky, and Kassy

    • Voula Augerinos
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 4, 2001
        Dear Jeanne,
        I can really relate to your post! Would you mind if I planned a day of
        no worry, and gave the worry to you just for that day! LOL! I will return
        the favour of course!

        http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
        (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)

      • jwarner310@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 4, 2001
          Gee, wouldn't that be great if we actually could do that? And
          wouldn't it be nice if we all lived in the same neighborhood so we
          could watch over each others cats? Gee, I would love to sit with
          Pebbles, Pum, Pongo, Kassy, Angel Lynx, Angel Sachie, and all of the
          others I read about on the list! And I may actually stop calling home
          and talking to the answering machine so Dom can hear my voice if I
          thought 1 of you fellow worrying cat moms was in charge. <G> I trust
          my son but he is 27 and not Doms favorite person since he only sees
          him infrequently. Plus he is not into the "cardiac cat" as he calls
          Dom. He just doesn't get it! I do have a letter on file at my vets
          office with my wishes outlined if something should happen to Dom
          while I am away though. I also have a copy here in case he should
          need to be taken to the emergency vet who wouldn't have acess to my
          vets letter immediately. I am prepared! Sort of like a living will
          for Dom--I know I have lost it! But, I feel better this way! Did any
          of you do this too?

          Just LMK the day that I am to take on all worries with Pebbles! I am
          always available!

          Jeanne

          --- In feline-heart@y..., "Voula Augerinos" <catwoman1@i...> wrote:
          > Dear Jeanne,
          > I can really relate to your post! Would you mind if I planned
          a day of
          > no worry, and gave the worry to you just for that day! LOL! I will
          return
          > the favour of course!
          > Love, Voula and Pebbles and Lucy and my Beautiful Angel Sachie.
          >
          > http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
          > (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)
          >
          > > I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
          > > having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be
          glad
          > > to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
          > > would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>
          > >
          > > Off to relax!
          > > Jeanne
        • Voula Augerinos
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 5, 2001
            Hi Jeanne,
            what an excellent idea to have instructions filed at your vets in case
            you are away.
            I think I will let you know a day when I need some stress relief. I
            mean most days I need stress relief! LOL! But I will wait for a day when I
            could do with it even more!

            http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
            (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)

            > Just LMK the day that I am to take on all worries with Pebbles! I am
            > always available!
            >
            > Jeanne
          • Laura Penny
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 5, 2001
              Jeanne,

              We did the "living will" thing when we went on our honeymoon 14 years ago.
              We specified that they should receive any care necessary, but no euthanasia
              until we were contacted to discuss the situation.

              We also did our real will just before we left. We specified the type of care
              the cats should get, the guardian (my mom), and the amount of money. They
              get the first chunk of money.

              Wanna hear the really sad part? We now have two children (and another pet),
              but haven't updated our will. We just can't decide on an appropriate
              guardian. So I guess the cats will be swimming in dough and pay for
              Courtney, Jon, and Nicky.

              We REALLY need to get our acts together, especially since we're thinking of
              adopting a baby this year!

              Laura, nonworried humanmom

            • jwarner310@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 5, 2001
                Laura,

                I love it! The cats are provided for and not the human children--oh
                well, like you said the cats will take good care of them! LOL

                So cute!!

                Jeanne

              • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                  hi jeanne,

                  well, michael has told me that he has a 2 wk seminar to attend in france
                  this summer and i am agonizing over that bec i can't imagine leaving pum
                  with a caregiver that long...my neighbor had the poor judgement to suggest
                  "a kennel"....and we all nearly had cardiac failure on the spot...i would
                  never even consider that as an option....so now i might have a friend who
                  will come catsit and that would be the only reasonable option as far as i'm
                  considered and then of course i call at least twice a day to be sure he's
                  ok....

                  and you are right...first i turned grayheaded and now i'm losing my hair
                  ....too much worrying here...i probably need to go into therapy!

                  purrs to you,

                  linda and the boys

                  I have to be certain that I am counted in the worrying cat moms too!
                  I can keep right up with the rest of you and I haven't even had a
                  problem with Dom so far! By the time that we get to the point where
                  you guys have all been, I won't have a hair left on my head! LOL

                  I, too cater to the Doms every whim and alot of whims that he doesn't
                  even have! I never go out without having a radio playing for him. We
                  have the lights all on timers so Dom isn't in the dark. Plus I have
                  not spent the night away from him in over a year. DH has 2
                  overnighters planned this spring and I am struggling to tell myself
                  that it will be fine even when I have my son coming in twice a day to
                  give Dom his meds etc. I watch the poor guy like a hawk and call the
                  vet any time that I think I see anything out of the norm. Thank
                  heavens my regular vet is very tolerant and concerned about Dom too!
                  I think he is her only feline cardiac patient right now!

                  I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
                  having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be glad
                  to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
                  would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>

                  Off to relax!
                  Jeanne

                  --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
                  > i enjoyed reading this...thx for sharing!
                  >
                  > linda and the boys

                • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                    ooooooohhhhhhhhhh, pls include me.....

                    linda

                    I can really relate to your post! Would you mind if I planned a day of
                    no worry, and gave the worry to you just for that day! LOL! I will return
                    the favour of course!

                    http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
                    (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)

                    > I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
                    > having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be glad
                    > to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
                    > would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>
                    >
                    > Off to relax!
                    > Jeanne

                  • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                      oooohhhh, this sounds great...what about someone pitching the idea for a pet
                      friendly retirement community of pet lovers or else we could just make a
                      list of where we all live and if we had to "go away" for some reason, we
                      could babysit each other's pet if we are close enough to each other?? i
                      guess i don't count, being in jamaica....but wouldn't that be a neat thing
                      to be able to do...???? any ideas?? and with time the list might
                      grow....didn't someone in seattle area have this kind of thing being set
                      up??? i'm pretty sure that i saw it about a year in some posting...

                      linda

                      Gee, wouldn't that be great if we actually could do that? And
                      wouldn't it be nice if we all lived in the same neighborhood so we
                      could watch over each others cats? Gee, I would love to sit with
                      Pebbles, Pum, Pongo, Kassy, Angel Lynx, Angel Sachie, and all of the
                      others I read about on the list! And I may actually stop calling home
                      and talking to the answering machine so Dom can hear my voice if I
                      thought 1 of you fellow worrying cat moms was in charge. <G> I trust
                      my son but he is 27 and not Doms favorite person since he only sees
                      him infrequently. Plus he is not into the "cardiac cat" as he calls
                      Dom. He just doesn't get it! I do have a letter on file at my vets
                      office with my wishes outlined if something should happen to Dom
                      while I am away though. I also have a copy here in case he should
                      need to be taken to the emergency vet who wouldn't have acess to my
                      vets letter immediately. I am prepared! Sort of like a living will
                      for Dom--I know I have lost it! But, I feel better this way! Did any
                      of you do this too?

                      Just LMK the day that I am to take on all worries with Pebbles! I am
                      always available!

                      Jeanne

                      --- In feline-heart@y..., "Voula Augerinos" <catwoman1@i...> wrote:
                      > Dear Jeanne,
                      > I can really relate to your post! Would you mind if I planned
                      a day of
                      > no worry, and gave the worry to you just for that day! LOL! I will
                      return
                      > the favour of course!
                      > Love, Voula and Pebbles and Lucy and my Beautiful Angel Sachie.
                      >
                      > http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
                      > (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)
                      >
                      > > I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
                      > > having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be
                      glad
                      > > to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
                      > > would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>
                      > >
                      > > Off to relax!
                      > > Jeanne

                    • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                        well, i'm impressed...i don't know what to do about pumpkin being in our
                        situation...any suggestions?

                        linda

                      • jwarner310@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                          Hi Linda!

                          Two weeks!! How awful! No way could I handle that one! And I am
                          fretting over 2 nights! LOL I keep telling Wayne that vacations are
                          on hold until something happens to Dom---I know this is crazy
                          but.....that's me! And a kennel! I bet you just about hit the floor!
                          They don't know you very well, huh? I know I would never suggest that
                          to anyone of us!

                          Well, we will all be here to help you through the France trip. (It
                          does sound great though!) I know you will agonize over this one for
                          awhile!

                        • Polis, Karen [CNTUS]
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                            Make sure you try "crepe avec Nutella" at any streetside vendor. It's the
                            best!

                            Two weeks!! How awful! No way could I handle that one! And I am
                            fretting over 2 nights! LOL I keep telling Wayne that vacations are
                            on hold until something happens to Dom---I know this is crazy
                            but.....that's me! And a kennel! I bet you just about hit the floor!
                            They don't know you very well, huh? I know I would never suggest that
                            to anyone of us!

                            Well, we will all be here to help you through the France trip. (It
                            does sound great though!) I know you will agonize over this one for
                            awhile!

                            Jeanne

                            --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
                            > hi jeanne,
                            >
                            > well, michael has told me that he has a 2 wk seminar to attend in
                            france
                            > this summer and i am agonizing over that bec i can't imagine
                            leaving pum
                            > with a caregiver that long...my neighbor had the poor judgement to
                            suggest
                            > "a kennel"....and we all nearly had cardiac failure on the spot...i
                            would
                            > never even consider that as an option....so now i might have a
                            friend who
                            > will come catsit and that would be the only reasonable option as
                            far as i'm
                            > considered and then of course i call at least twice a day to be
                            sure he's
                            > ok....
                            >
                            > and you are right...first i turned grayheaded and now i'm losing my
                            hair
                            > ....too much worrying here...i probably need to go into therapy!
                            >
                            > purrs to you,
                            >
                            > linda and the boys

                          • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 7, 2001
                              i personally like to eat nutella right out of the jar....yes, i know that's
                              awful!....to me the best is being able to buy hot chestnuts on a cold, cold
                              day when you're walking around the city....in Paris my favorite forever
                              place to go is outside Pere LaChaise cemetery, buy the chestnuts and then go
                              walking....did you know that Jim Morrison is buried there...ok, this isn't a
                              feline topic but it's good therapy for this worried mom....

                              purrzles to you,
                              linda and the boys

                              Make sure you try "crepe avec Nutella" at any streetside vendor. It's the
                              best!

                              Two weeks!! How awful! No way could I handle that one! And I am
                              fretting over 2 nights! LOL I keep telling Wayne that vacations are
                              on hold until something happens to Dom---I know this is crazy
                              but.....that's me! And a kennel! I bet you just about hit the floor!
                              They don't know you very well, huh? I know I would never suggest that
                              to anyone of us!

                              Well, we will all be here to help you through the France trip. (It
                              does sound great though!) I know you will agonize over this one for
                              awhile!

                              Jeanne

                              --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
                              > hi jeanne,
                              >
                              > well, michael has told me that he has a 2 wk seminar to attend in
                              france
                              > this summer and i am agonizing over that bec i can't imagine
                              leaving pum
                              > with a caregiver that long...my neighbor had the poor judgement to
                              suggest
                              > "a kennel"....and we all nearly had cardiac failure on the spot...i
                              would
                              > never even consider that as an option....so now i might have a
                              friend who
                              > will come catsit and that would be the only reasonable option as
                              far as i'm
                              > considered and then of course i call at least twice a day to be
                              sure he's
                              > ok....
                              >
                              > and you are right...first i turned grayheaded and now i'm losing my
                              hair
                              > ....too much worrying here...i probably need to go into therapy!
                              >
                              > purrs to you,
                              >
                              > linda and the boys

                            • Polis, Karen [CNTUS]
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 8, 2001
                                When I went to France at age 15 I specifically "made" my exchange family
                                take me to see Jim's grave!

                                Make sure you try "crepe avec Nutella" at any streetside vendor. It's the
                                best!

                                Two weeks!! How awful! No way could I handle that one! And I am
                                fretting over 2 nights! LOL I keep telling Wayne that vacations are
                                on hold until something happens to Dom---I know this is crazy
                                but.....that's me! And a kennel! I bet you just about hit the floor!
                                They don't know you very well, huh? I know I would never suggest that
                                to anyone of us!

                                Well, we will all be here to help you through the France trip. (It
                                does sound great though!) I know you will agonize over this one for
                                awhile!

                                Jeanne

                                --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
                                > hi jeanne,
                                >
                                > well, michael has told me that he has a 2 wk seminar to attend in
                                france
                                > this summer and i am agonizing over that bec i can't imagine
                                leaving pum
                                > with a caregiver that long...my neighbor had the poor judgement to
                                suggest
                                > "a kennel"....and we all nearly had cardiac failure on the spot...i
                                would
                                > never even consider that as an option....so now i might have a
                                friend who
                                > will come catsit and that would be the only reasonable option as
                                far as i'm
                                > considered and then of course i call at least twice a day to be
                                sure he's
                                > ok....
                                >
                                > and you are right...first i turned grayheaded and now i'm losing my
                                hair
                                > ....too much worrying here...i probably need to go into therapy!
                                >
                                > purrs to you,
                                >
                                > linda and the boys

                              • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 8, 2001
                                  it's an amazing place.....

                                • brunobaby@earthlink.net
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 8, 2001
                                    Karen wrote:

                                    > When I went to France at age 15 I specifically "made" my exchange
                                    >family take me [to Pere Lachaise cemetary] to see Jim's grave!

                                    I was there in '87. There were young people from all over the world
                                    having sort of a picnic there. There were a couple of students from
                                    Germany who didn't understand a lot of English, but they
                                    understood "I went down to the kitchen and got myself some beer."

                                    To bring this back around to cats, <G> mine were young at the time,
                                    and problem-free, with my next-door neighbor checking in on them a
                                    couple of times a day while I was on vacation. However, Pongo would
                                    still leave mementoes around the house for me to find when I got
                                    back, to show me exactly what he thought about "deserting" him.

                                    While in England and France, I bought a couple of cans of cat food,
                                    not so much to feed to my cats but so that I could show
                                    people, "Look, I've got cat food from France." After a few of days of
                                    hauling them around in my backpack, I realized how inane this idea
                                    was, and just saved the labels instead.

                                    I still have the label from "Spillers Kattomeat with Rabbit," because
                                    it has a white cat on the label who looks like Phoebe.

                                    Karen, thanks for all the vet info.

                                    --Melinda