RE: [feline-heart] Worried Catmom Syndrome

  • Mike & Linda Irrgang
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 4, 2001
      i enjoyed reading this...thx for sharing!

      linda and the boys

      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 4, 2001
        I have to be certain that I am counted in the worrying cat moms too!
        I can keep right up with the rest of you and I haven't even had a
        problem with Dom so far! By the time that we get to the point where
        you guys have all been, I won't have a hair left on my head! LOL

        I, too cater to the Doms every whim and alot of whims that he doesn't
        even have! I never go out without having a radio playing for him. We
        have the lights all on timers so Dom isn't in the dark. Plus I have
        not spent the night away from him in over a year. DH has 2
        overnighters planned this spring and I am struggling to tell myself
        that it will be fine even when I have my son coming in twice a day to
        give Dom his meds etc. I watch the poor guy like a hawk and call the
        vet any time that I think I see anything out of the norm. Thank
        heavens my regular vet is very tolerant and concerned about Dom too!
        I think he is her only feline cardiac patient right now!

        I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
        having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be glad
        to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
        would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>

        Off to relax!
        Jeanne

        --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
        > i enjoyed reading this...thx for sharing!
        >
        > linda and the boys

      • Voula Augerinos
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 4, 2001
          Dear Jeanne,
          I can really relate to your post! Would you mind if I planned a day of
          no worry, and gave the worry to you just for that day! LOL! I will return
          the favour of course!

          http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
          (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)

        • jwarner310@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 4, 2001
            Gee, wouldn't that be great if we actually could do that? And
            wouldn't it be nice if we all lived in the same neighborhood so we
            could watch over each others cats? Gee, I would love to sit with
            Pebbles, Pum, Pongo, Kassy, Angel Lynx, Angel Sachie, and all of the
            others I read about on the list! And I may actually stop calling home
            and talking to the answering machine so Dom can hear my voice if I
            thought 1 of you fellow worrying cat moms was in charge. <G> I trust
            my son but he is 27 and not Doms favorite person since he only sees
            him infrequently. Plus he is not into the "cardiac cat" as he calls
            Dom. He just doesn't get it! I do have a letter on file at my vets
            office with my wishes outlined if something should happen to Dom
            while I am away though. I also have a copy here in case he should
            need to be taken to the emergency vet who wouldn't have acess to my
            vets letter immediately. I am prepared! Sort of like a living will
            for Dom--I know I have lost it! But, I feel better this way! Did any
            of you do this too?

            Just LMK the day that I am to take on all worries with Pebbles! I am
            always available!

            Jeanne

            --- In feline-heart@y..., "Voula Augerinos" <catwoman1@i...> wrote:
            > Dear Jeanne,
            > I can really relate to your post! Would you mind if I planned
            a day of
            > no worry, and gave the worry to you just for that day! LOL! I will
            return
            > the favour of course!
            > Love, Voula and Pebbles and Lucy and my Beautiful Angel Sachie.
            >
            > http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
            > (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)
            >
            > > I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
            > > having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be
            glad
            > > to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
            > > would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>
            > >
            > > Off to relax!
            > > Jeanne
          • Voula Augerinos
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 5, 2001
              Hi Jeanne,
              what an excellent idea to have instructions filed at your vets in case
              you are away.
              I think I will let you know a day when I need some stress relief. I
              mean most days I need stress relief! LOL! But I will wait for a day when I
              could do with it even more!

              http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
              (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)

              > Just LMK the day that I am to take on all worries with Pebbles! I am
              > always available!
              >
              > Jeanne
            • Laura Penny
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 5, 2001
                Jeanne,

                We did the "living will" thing when we went on our honeymoon 14 years ago.
                We specified that they should receive any care necessary, but no euthanasia
                until we were contacted to discuss the situation.

                We also did our real will just before we left. We specified the type of care
                the cats should get, the guardian (my mom), and the amount of money. They
                get the first chunk of money.

                Wanna hear the really sad part? We now have two children (and another pet),
                but haven't updated our will. We just can't decide on an appropriate
                guardian. So I guess the cats will be swimming in dough and pay for
                Courtney, Jon, and Nicky.

                We REALLY need to get our acts together, especially since we're thinking of
                adopting a baby this year!

                Laura, nonworried humanmom

              • jwarner310@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 5, 2001
                  Laura,

                  I love it! The cats are provided for and not the human children--oh
                  well, like you said the cats will take good care of them! LOL

                  So cute!!

                  Jeanne

                • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                    hi jeanne,

                    well, michael has told me that he has a 2 wk seminar to attend in france
                    this summer and i am agonizing over that bec i can't imagine leaving pum
                    with a caregiver that long...my neighbor had the poor judgement to suggest
                    "a kennel"....and we all nearly had cardiac failure on the spot...i would
                    never even consider that as an option....so now i might have a friend who
                    will come catsit and that would be the only reasonable option as far as i'm
                    considered and then of course i call at least twice a day to be sure he's
                    ok....

                    and you are right...first i turned grayheaded and now i'm losing my hair
                    ....too much worrying here...i probably need to go into therapy!

                    purrs to you,

                    linda and the boys

                    I have to be certain that I am counted in the worrying cat moms too!
                    I can keep right up with the rest of you and I haven't even had a
                    problem with Dom so far! By the time that we get to the point where
                    you guys have all been, I won't have a hair left on my head! LOL

                    I, too cater to the Doms every whim and alot of whims that he doesn't
                    even have! I never go out without having a radio playing for him. We
                    have the lights all on timers so Dom isn't in the dark. Plus I have
                    not spent the night away from him in over a year. DH has 2
                    overnighters planned this spring and I am struggling to tell myself
                    that it will be fine even when I have my son coming in twice a day to
                    give Dom his meds etc. I watch the poor guy like a hawk and call the
                    vet any time that I think I see anything out of the norm. Thank
                    heavens my regular vet is very tolerant and concerned about Dom too!
                    I think he is her only feline cardiac patient right now!

                    I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
                    having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be glad
                    to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
                    would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>

                    Off to relax!
                    Jeanne

                    --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
                    > i enjoyed reading this...thx for sharing!
                    >
                    > linda and the boys

                  • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                      ooooooohhhhhhhhhh, pls include me.....

                      linda

                      I can really relate to your post! Would you mind if I planned a day of
                      no worry, and gave the worry to you just for that day! LOL! I will return
                      the favour of course!

                      http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
                      (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)

                      > I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
                      > having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be glad
                      > to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
                      > would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>
                      >
                      > Off to relax!
                      > Jeanne

                    • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                        oooohhhh, this sounds great...what about someone pitching the idea for a pet
                        friendly retirement community of pet lovers or else we could just make a
                        list of where we all live and if we had to "go away" for some reason, we
                        could babysit each other's pet if we are close enough to each other?? i
                        guess i don't count, being in jamaica....but wouldn't that be a neat thing
                        to be able to do...???? any ideas?? and with time the list might
                        grow....didn't someone in seattle area have this kind of thing being set
                        up??? i'm pretty sure that i saw it about a year in some posting...

                        linda

                        Gee, wouldn't that be great if we actually could do that? And
                        wouldn't it be nice if we all lived in the same neighborhood so we
                        could watch over each others cats? Gee, I would love to sit with
                        Pebbles, Pum, Pongo, Kassy, Angel Lynx, Angel Sachie, and all of the
                        others I read about on the list! And I may actually stop calling home
                        and talking to the answering machine so Dom can hear my voice if I
                        thought 1 of you fellow worrying cat moms was in charge. <G> I trust
                        my son but he is 27 and not Doms favorite person since he only sees
                        him infrequently. Plus he is not into the "cardiac cat" as he calls
                        Dom. He just doesn't get it! I do have a letter on file at my vets
                        office with my wishes outlined if something should happen to Dom
                        while I am away though. I also have a copy here in case he should
                        need to be taken to the emergency vet who wouldn't have acess to my
                        vets letter immediately. I am prepared! Sort of like a living will
                        for Dom--I know I have lost it! But, I feel better this way! Did any
                        of you do this too?

                        Just LMK the day that I am to take on all worries with Pebbles! I am
                        always available!

                        Jeanne

                        --- In feline-heart@y..., "Voula Augerinos" <catwoman1@i...> wrote:
                        > Dear Jeanne,
                        > I can really relate to your post! Would you mind if I planned
                        a day of
                        > no worry, and gave the worry to you just for that day! LOL! I will
                        return
                        > the favour of course!
                        > Love, Voula and Pebbles and Lucy and my Beautiful Angel Sachie.
                        >
                        > http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
                        > (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)
                        >
                        > > I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
                        > > having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be
                        glad
                        > > to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
                        > > would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>
                        > >
                        > > Off to relax!
                        > > Jeanne

                      • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                          well, i'm impressed...i don't know what to do about pumpkin being in our
                          situation...any suggestions?

                          linda

                        • jwarner310@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                            Hi Linda!

                            Two weeks!! How awful! No way could I handle that one! And I am
                            fretting over 2 nights! LOL I keep telling Wayne that vacations are
                            on hold until something happens to Dom---I know this is crazy
                            but.....that's me! And a kennel! I bet you just about hit the floor!
                            They don't know you very well, huh? I know I would never suggest that
                            to anyone of us!

                            Well, we will all be here to help you through the France trip. (It
                            does sound great though!) I know you will agonize over this one for
                            awhile!

                          • Polis, Karen [CNTUS]
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                              Make sure you try "crepe avec Nutella" at any streetside vendor. It's the
                              best!

                              Two weeks!! How awful! No way could I handle that one! And I am
                              fretting over 2 nights! LOL I keep telling Wayne that vacations are
                              on hold until something happens to Dom---I know this is crazy
                              but.....that's me! And a kennel! I bet you just about hit the floor!
                              They don't know you very well, huh? I know I would never suggest that
                              to anyone of us!

                              Well, we will all be here to help you through the France trip. (It
                              does sound great though!) I know you will agonize over this one for
                              awhile!

                              Jeanne

                              --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
                              > hi jeanne,
                              >
                              > well, michael has told me that he has a 2 wk seminar to attend in
                              france
                              > this summer and i am agonizing over that bec i can't imagine
                              leaving pum
                              > with a caregiver that long...my neighbor had the poor judgement to
                              suggest
                              > "a kennel"....and we all nearly had cardiac failure on the spot...i
                              would
                              > never even consider that as an option....so now i might have a
                              friend who
                              > will come catsit and that would be the only reasonable option as
                              far as i'm
                              > considered and then of course i call at least twice a day to be
                              sure he's
                              > ok....
                              >
                              > and you are right...first i turned grayheaded and now i'm losing my
                              hair
                              > ....too much worrying here...i probably need to go into therapy!
                              >
                              > purrs to you,
                              >
                              > linda and the boys

                            • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 7, 2001
                                i personally like to eat nutella right out of the jar....yes, i know that's
                                awful!....to me the best is being able to buy hot chestnuts on a cold, cold
                                day when you're walking around the city....in Paris my favorite forever
                                place to go is outside Pere LaChaise cemetery, buy the chestnuts and then go
                                walking....did you know that Jim Morrison is buried there...ok, this isn't a
                                feline topic but it's good therapy for this worried mom....

                                purrzles to you,
                                linda and the boys

                                Make sure you try "crepe avec Nutella" at any streetside vendor. It's the
                                best!

                                Two weeks!! How awful! No way could I handle that one! And I am
                                fretting over 2 nights! LOL I keep telling Wayne that vacations are
                                on hold until something happens to Dom---I know this is crazy
                                but.....that's me! And a kennel! I bet you just about hit the floor!
                                They don't know you very well, huh? I know I would never suggest that
                                to anyone of us!

                                Well, we will all be here to help you through the France trip. (It
                                does sound great though!) I know you will agonize over this one for
                                awhile!

                                Jeanne

                                --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
                                > hi jeanne,
                                >
                                > well, michael has told me that he has a 2 wk seminar to attend in
                                france
                                > this summer and i am agonizing over that bec i can't imagine
                                leaving pum
                                > with a caregiver that long...my neighbor had the poor judgement to
                                suggest
                                > "a kennel"....and we all nearly had cardiac failure on the spot...i
                                would
                                > never even consider that as an option....so now i might have a
                                friend who
                                > will come catsit and that would be the only reasonable option as
                                far as i'm
                                > considered and then of course i call at least twice a day to be
                                sure he's
                                > ok....
                                >
                                > and you are right...first i turned grayheaded and now i'm losing my
                                hair
                                > ....too much worrying here...i probably need to go into therapy!
                                >
                                > purrs to you,
                                >
                                > linda and the boys

                              • Polis, Karen [CNTUS]
                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 8, 2001
                                  When I went to France at age 15 I specifically "made" my exchange family
                                  take me to see Jim's grave!

                                  Make sure you try "crepe avec Nutella" at any streetside vendor. It's the
                                  best!

                                  Two weeks!! How awful! No way could I handle that one! And I am
                                  fretting over 2 nights! LOL I keep telling Wayne that vacations are
                                  on hold until something happens to Dom---I know this is crazy
                                  but.....that's me! And a kennel! I bet you just about hit the floor!
                                  They don't know you very well, huh? I know I would never suggest that
                                  to anyone of us!

                                  Well, we will all be here to help you through the France trip. (It
                                  does sound great though!) I know you will agonize over this one for
                                  awhile!

                                  Jeanne

                                  --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
                                  > hi jeanne,
                                  >
                                  > well, michael has told me that he has a 2 wk seminar to attend in
                                  france
                                  > this summer and i am agonizing over that bec i can't imagine
                                  leaving pum
                                  > with a caregiver that long...my neighbor had the poor judgement to
                                  suggest
                                  > "a kennel"....and we all nearly had cardiac failure on the spot...i
                                  would
                                  > never even consider that as an option....so now i might have a
                                  friend who
                                  > will come catsit and that would be the only reasonable option as
                                  far as i'm
                                  > considered and then of course i call at least twice a day to be
                                  sure he's
                                  > ok....
                                  >
                                  > and you are right...first i turned grayheaded and now i'm losing my
                                  hair
                                  > ....too much worrying here...i probably need to go into therapy!
                                  >
                                  > purrs to you,
                                  >
                                  > linda and the boys

                                • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 8, 2001
                                    it's an amazing place.....

                                  • brunobaby@earthlink.net
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 8, 2001
                                      Karen wrote:

                                      > When I went to France at age 15 I specifically "made" my exchange
                                      >family take me [to Pere Lachaise cemetary] to see Jim's grave!

                                      I was there in '87. There were young people from all over the world
                                      having sort of a picnic there. There were a couple of students from
                                      Germany who didn't understand a lot of English, but they
                                      understood "I went down to the kitchen and got myself some beer."

                                      To bring this back around to cats, <G> mine were young at the time,
                                      and problem-free, with my next-door neighbor checking in on them a
                                      couple of times a day while I was on vacation. However, Pongo would
                                      still leave mementoes around the house for me to find when I got
                                      back, to show me exactly what he thought about "deserting" him.

                                      While in England and France, I bought a couple of cans of cat food,
                                      not so much to feed to my cats but so that I could show
                                      people, "Look, I've got cat food from France." After a few of days of
                                      hauling them around in my backpack, I realized how inane this idea
                                      was, and just saved the labels instead.

                                      I still have the label from "Spillers Kattomeat with Rabbit," because
                                      it has a white cat on the label who looks like Phoebe.

                                      Karen, thanks for all the vet info.

                                      --Melinda