Re: [FH] Sarah, Susan & William--thanks

  • William Draper
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 5, 2004
      the normal range of heart rates for a cat is enormous. it ranges from 100 (asleep) to 240 (right before it freaks out). there is less hard data on cats than dogs, so their normal ranges tend to be a bit wider.

      bill
      dvm in 2005
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 6, 2004
        yeah, that's definitely too fast for an HCM cat. i was giving normal ranges in a healthy cat to display the wide variety of normal HRs.

        bill
        dvm in 2005
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 6, 2004

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 6, 2004
            --- William Draper <wedraper@...> wrote:
            > yeah, that's definitely too fast for an HCM cat. i
            > was giving normal ranges in a healthy cat to display
            > the wide variety of normal HRs.
            >
            > bill
            > dvm in 2005

            From my reading I have gotten the impression that a
            fast heart rate if it is sustained for a long enough
            period of time can cause mechanical damage to the
            heart. I know I saw a reference once to the statement:
            if a heart beats (some really big number) of times per
            minute, in 3 weeks that heart will be in CHF.

            I do know that my cat was put on atenolol not because
            of his borderline hypertrophy, but because of a
            "hyperkinetic heart that is unrelated to the anxiety
            of the kitten". I suppose just the fact that the heart
            is beating too fast suggests some type of disfunction,
            as I don't suppose there can be a benign reason for
            tachycardia?

            With male cats being overrepresented among felines
            with HCM I cannot help wondering if something that is
            specific to male cats, for instance territorial
            stress, which in theory would result in elevated
            circulating catecholamines could be one etiology in
            feline HCM?

            Susan

          • bubblet2002
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 8, 2004
              I spent most of yesterday wading thru links..I have so many questions that I get easily sidetracked by words & phrases run across & stop to read. It really drains me emotionally,, my beautiful 14yr Zack died unexpectedly last July.. the vet never figured out what was wrong so I had another vet do a post mortem and she found he had a small heart with left ventr. very thickened.. now when I read articles and posts the puzzle pieces fall into place & I'm certain he had HCM... probably most of his life...& i never knew & his vets never figured it out & it hurts so much to read that i could have done something if it had been diagnosed. i am angry at myself angry at the vets and very very sad.. but i don;t want to let Zoe down like i did Zackie. guess i needed to vent. thanks everybody. phyllis

              Susan <somnamblst@...> wrote:Did you find any references in the articles in the
              links section to adding a second med to the
              beta-blocker for additional HR control? I'm not
              positive but I feel like I read that in at least one
              of the articles.

              --- bubblet2002 wrote:
              > Hi Susan, Fortunately, Zoe is currently lapping up
              > her med-laced "juice" pretty regularly now ... even
              > got half a baby aspirin crushed and mixed - was
              > concerned as it is bitter and orange flavored! -
              > told my husband "why don't they make liver flavored
              > baby aspirin?!.." he got a good laugh outta that
              > comment. I've never been able to get near Z's face,
              > [she was born with a neurological problem..to
              > compound the feral challenge], but to try and touch
              > her mouth-- yikes. I keep hoping the heart disease
              > will reverse with the control of her hyper-t, but
              > her h.r. stays high and resp. labored.
              > I'll stay hopeful thanks for the support
              > best to you and Rudy
              > phyllis & zoe

            • Susan Aufieri
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 8, 2004
                You are not to blame. Though I do have to wonder about those vets. You did the best for
                Zack that you could. Now that you're wiser, you can help make informed decisions for Zoe.

                People complain frequently about the internet, how dangerous it is, how there are wackos
                out there, and on and on. But, I gotta tell ALL' y'all, without these feline lists, the
                cumulative knowledge, good and bad experiences of the subscribers, and the excellent
                links, I would never have known how badly Abby's former vet was letting her down.

                Susan

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 9, 2004
                  test post