Thin skin in CHF, diabetic, and hypothyroid cat.

  • avian67226
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2004
      Hi all. I took Brianna in today for bloodwork and possible chest
      tap (if she had pleural efflusion). Her vet just called me. Her
      chest was clear (HOORAY!!) but she is worried about something else
      now.

      Brianna was still under sedation when she began to comb out some of
      her mats. She tugged a bit on one of the mats and the skin peeled
      back from her right hind leg. Dr. J said it really freaked her out
      b/c she'd not had that happen before. (There were no previous cuts
      or wounds on Bri's leg). She said it took a little bit of time for
      the blood to coagulate but she was able to stitch the tear shut.

      I know that diabetics are slow to heal. Brianna was pulling at a
      mat a few days ago and the skin bruised immediately. A few days
      later it was fine.

      Dr. J sent in blood for T4, fructosamine, CBC and chemistry panel.
      Bri gets 12.5 mg Lasix bid, 1.25 Enalapril sid, 100 mcg Levoxyl sid,
      and a B12/folic acid supplement sid.

      What could cause her skin to tear so easily? She will begin a round
      of amoxycillin tonight for the tear. Thanks so much for your help,
      everyone! I will probably crosspost this message to another list.
    • Steph
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2004
        The elasticity of the skin lessens as a cat gets older.. its not
        uncommon to get tears in cat skin, esp from a grooming standpoint with a
        really matted cat.. i would imagine the same applies to a comb too,
        since they tend to be sharper with brushes. If your cat is bruising a
        lot, i would get her liver enzymes and a coag panel checked.. if she has
        liver issues, you might want to ask your vet about Vitamin K injections.

        BD has really really thin skin on his ears.. probably poor circulation,
        between his diabetes and his heart disease.. he's ultra bad at the vet
        for restraint, and i snagged his ear (scruffing wasn't working wiht his
        flailing, and he'd managed to get his muzzle off) in a last ditch
        attempt to keep his teeth away from another tech.. his poor lil ear was
        bent for two days due to the thin skin -- we made it out with only minor
[...]

        feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Marjorie Blaine
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6, 2004
          Could it be the diabetes? My dad was a diabetic and his skin was like paper
          and he wasn't that old. He really had to watch just bumping up against
          things because it would rip his skin. I'm just guessing...

          Marjorie
          Sitka,Teddi,Gus,and Max

          >From: "avian67226" <avian67226@...>
          >To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [FH] Thin skin in CHF, diabetic, and hypothyroid cat.
          >Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 20:12:46 -0000
          >
          >Hi all. I took Brianna in today for bloodwork and possible chest
          >tap (if she had pleural efflusion). Her vet just called me. Her
          >chest was clear (HOORAY!!) but she is worried about something else
          >now.
          >
          >Brianna was still under sedation when she began to comb out some of
          >her mats. She tugged a bit on one of the mats and the skin peeled
          >back from her right hind leg. Dr. J said it really freaked her out
          >b/c she'd not had that happen before. (There were no previous cuts
          >or wounds on Bri's leg). She said it took a little bit of time for
          >the blood to coagulate but she was able to stitch the tear shut.
          >
          >I know that diabetics are slow to heal. Brianna was pulling at a
          >mat a few days ago and the skin bruised immediately. A few days
          >later it was fine.
          >
          >Dr. J sent in blood for T4, fructosamine, CBC and chemistry panel.
          >Bri gets 12.5 mg Lasix bid, 1.25 Enalapril sid, 100 mcg Levoxyl sid,
          >and a B12/folic acid supplement sid.
          >
          >What could cause her skin to tear so easily? She will begin a round
          >of amoxycillin tonight for the tear. Thanks so much for your help,
          >everyone! I will probably crosspost this message to another list.

          Limited-time offer: Fast, reliable MSN 9 Dial-up Internet access FREE for 2
          months!