Thiamine for Neuropathy

  • Deena
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 5 8:51 AM
      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Susan Aufieri
      <susanaufieri@v...> wrote: I can't wait to try the thiamine
      treatment to see if it helps the neuropathy. Three vets, including
      her first one, have seen her walking. All of them said neuropathy.
      Doubtful it's saddle thrombus. Wouldn't that just be excellent if it
      was an absorption problem, and not a degenerative one?

      Susan, I'm curious what type of thiamine(B1)treatments you are
      using? Are you also watching her B6, B12 and others in the B-
      complex? I'm far from expert, but know that a synthetic thiamine
      can sometimes whack out other vitamins, minerals, trace elements,
      etc.
    • Chris Martin
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 5 11:42 AM
        On Monday, April 5, 2004, at 09:51 AM, Deena wrote:

        > Susan, I'm curious what type of thiamine(B1)treatments you are
        > using? Are you also watching her B6, B12 and others in the B-
        > complex? I'm far from expert, but know that a synthetic thiamine
        > can sometimes whack out other vitamins, minerals, trace elements,
        > etc.

        I'm no expert either, but i *do* know that the B-complex should always
        be given in balance. throwing off that balance can give big problems.
        Perhaps just going with a B-complex instead of thiamine only would be
        better?

        Chris
        "My cat's job is to rest between naps."
      • William Draper
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5 5:32 PM
          thiamine in this instance is not being given as a dietary supplement, but as a specific treatment for a neuropathy. nerves operate a little differently than other cells in the body, and they are much more fragile from a metabolic standpoint. once a cell body of a neuron dies, that's it for the nerve. thiamine is a vitamin specifically required for energy production in the brain.

          bill
          dvm in 2005

          On Monday, April 5, 2004, at 09:51 AM, Deena wrote:

          > Susan, I'm curious what type of thiamine(B1)treatments you are
          > using? Are you also watching her B6, B12 and others in the B-
          > complex? I'm far from expert, but know that a synthetic thiamine
          > can sometimes whack out other vitamins, minerals, trace elements,
          > etc.

          I'm no expert either, but i *do* know that the B-complex should always
          be given in balance. throwing off that balance can give big problems.
          Perhaps just going with a B-complex instead of thiamine only would be
          better?

          Chris
          "My cat's job is to rest between naps."

        • Susan Aufieri
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 6 4:18 AM
            Her cardio vet has an 18 year old cat that has neuropathy, like Abby does. She tried the
            thiamine first as it's non-toxic and not really all that invasive (IM or sub-q). I'm not exactly
            sure what's on order for her, I will know more this week when I can see the bottle.

            Here's hoping though.

            Susan

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Deena" <mottola@c...> wrote:
            > Susan, I'm curious what type of thiamine(B1)treatments you are
            > using? Are you also watching her B6, B12 and others in the B-
            > complex? I'm far from expert, but know that a synthetic thiamine
            > can sometimes whack out other vitamins, minerals, trace elements,
            > etc.
          • Susan Aufieri
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 6 4:30 AM
              Her cardio vet also tells me that if it is a thiamine induced neuropathy from absorbtion
              problems, the disease behaves much like pernicious anemia. You can eat all the b-12 you
              want, but w/out injections you will get sick and die. My friend had pernicious anemia and
              had shots of b-12 very frequently, despite having a well rounded diet.

              Susan