Re: [FH] New to the group/question about stress

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2004
      --- jsmithready <smithready@...> wrote:
      >> We started him on
      > atenolol 12.5/day tablet, and if his renal functions
      > are okay this
      > week, we'll start him on enalapril,

      > My question is, what role does mental stress play in
      > HCM? We foster
      > dogs for a rescue organization, so every few weeks
      > to a month there's
      > a new dog entering our house. Our cats are pretty
      > cool with it, but
      > some of the dogs are more stress-inducing than
      > others. The vet said
      > this was okay as long as the dogs aren't chasing
      > Misha (which of
      > course we would never allow) and causing him to
      > exercise more than
      > he's able. Any other opinions?

      Jeri,

      My guess is that the atenolol would be blocking the
      effect of the stress hormones on the heart that the
      presence of the dogs might cause. I think that is why
      they are called beta-andergenic blockers. I think that
      is how they reduce the heart rate.

      Susan

      =====

    • Deena
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2004
        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "jsmithready" <smithready@a...>
        wrote: My name is Jeri, and my cat Misha (8yo DSH mix) was recently
        diagnosed with the early stages of HCM. My question is, what role
        does mental stress play in HCM? We foster dogs for a rescue
        organization, so every few weeks to a month there's a new dog
        entering our house. Our cats are pretty cool with it, but some of
        the dogs are more stress-inducing than others. The vet said this
        was okay as long as the dogs aren't chasing Misha (which of course
        we would never allow) and causing him to exercise more than he's
        able. Any other opinions?

        Hi Jeri and welcome to the group. Here's my opinion on your stress
        question. Generally, stress should be considered a negative that
        can make any condition worse. However, what us humans might
        consider stress might not be stressful to Misha. I think it depends
        on the individual cat and how they deal with it.

        When Mr Pepe was dx'd in 11/03, his cardiologist said to keep him
        inside, limit activity and reduce stress as much as possible. One
        of his favorite activities was to join us for our morning
        neighborhood rover romp where he would either boss the doggies
        around or torment them into chasing him. Figuring this would be a
        death sentence, I put him on house arrest. But, sitting in the
        window watching the doggies play, was stressing him out and making
        him depressed. When I let him join again, I noticed that he would
        base his involvement on how he felt that particular day. Some days
        he would sit on the fence and just watch. Other days he would pick
        certain dogs to play with. When he was feeling real good, he would
        tease, torment and beg to be chased. He seemed to know better than
        me what he could handle.

        A few weeks after his initial crash, I took in a 12 yr old Bichon
        with no cat manners. Mr Pepe loves dogs and is often used by my dog
        breeder friends to get puppies socialized to cats. His best friend
        is actually a Bichon, so I didn't think it would be a problem. I
        initially kept them separate with the plan to slowly get Ian used to
        a cat. Nice plan except that my house is usually filled with 11 yr
        old boys who forget to close doors. So their first meeting involved
        lots of barking and chasing until Mr Pepe stared Ian down and told
        this "guest" that the CAT was the alpha dog in the house. A week
        later, Mr Pepe had an appt with his holistic vet who picked up an
        emotional imbalance involving someone in our house. I was certain
        it was Ian but it turned out to be my husband. (That's another
        really funny story how we identified and dealt with that one) Mr
        Pepe was fine with Ian being in the house and actually seemed to
        miss him when I found a home for him.

        So my advice would be to not necessarily assume that foster dogs
        will cause Misha negative stress but keep a careful eye on how Misha
        responds. Cats seem to know best and my guess is he will just go
        and hide if he doesn't want to deal with the situation. I'd be
        keeping Rescue Remedy on hand for all critters (and humans) and give
        especially when the dogs first arrive. A B-vitamin complex also
        will help him to respond to stress and is helpful with HCM kitties
        anyway.

        Good Luck,

        Deena in Newburyport, MA
        Mr. Pepe: Male, NFC, dx'd 11/03 at 3 yrs, severe HCM, advanced CHF,
        severe spontaneous contrast. Currently taking: Enalapril, Lasix,
        Aspirin, Nattokinase, Dandelion, CoQ10, Hawthorn, Garlic, Gland &
        Organ Wafers, Fish Oil, Lyssin, Coral Calcium. Raw fed.