Scary incident with Morag

  • brinkett
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2004
      Hi all,

      Well, we had a big scare yesterday around dinnertime. They think
      she threw a clot. She was fine and then all of a sudden became very
      wobbly and started yowling. I grabbed her and put her on a nearby
      chair to have a good look at her and she seemed to be really weak.
      Then she peed and fluid started pouring out of her nose and mouth.
      Of course, this totally freaked me out - we rushed her to the
      emergency clinic and by the time we got there her respiration rate
      was really high but she wasn't in distress. They put her into
      oxygen anyway, took X-rays, and gave her intravenous lasix.

      The X-rays showed that she does have fluid but mainly outside the
      lungs and not enough to tap. The inside of her lungs looked pretty
      good, so I don't understand what the fluid was coming out of her
      nose. The emerg vet thinks she threw a clot that might have lodged
      and then dislodged in the brain. If so, this may be the second time
      it's happened. She had a wobbly incident about a month ago (but
      without the rest of the symptoms) and the regular vet thought it was
      probably a case of arrythmia since she recovered so quickly from it,
      however the emerg vet said he's seen cats recover very quickly from
      small clots and it's possible she's throwing them all the time now,
      which obviously isn't good. He also said that her heart sounds
      steady and if she was experiencing bouts of arrythmia, she'd be
      having these wobbly spells much more often.

      We picked her up at about 12:45 last night because I do sense that
      she's declining so I'm trying to minimize how much time she spends
      in cages at the vet. She is better this morning - her respiration
      rate is still a little elevated but not alarmingly so. She's on an
      increased dose of lasix until I can talk to my regular vet
      tomorrow. She had been doing pretty well the last month since we
      started her on spironolactone but this incident last night has
      brought it home to us that anything can happen anytime.

      Anyway, does anyone know what the fluid could have been coming out
      of her nose?

      Sarah.
    • brinkett
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5, 2004
        > Anyway, does anyone know what the fluid could have been coming out
        > of her nose?

        Just to follow up, I spoke with my regular vet today and he said
        that he's sometimes seen discharge coming from the nose and mouth
        when a cat is in a severe state of anxiety.

        Anyway, Morag will be spending the day at her regular vet tomorrow
        so they can check her kidneys and have a really good look at her.

        Sarah.