Upcoming visit to vet school

  • gcatsndogs@aol.com
    Message 1 of 39 , Feb 3, 2001
      Monday is the big day--the 4-hour round trip to the University of
      Tennessee Vet School. Spud is scheduled for his first echo since
      Sept. when he was started on 45mg of Diltiazem CD daily. I'm hoping
      the diltiazem has slowed (or even stopped) :) the progression of his
      HCM. He will also have the required bloodwork and urinalysis to check
      progression of his CRF.
      Since Sept., I haven't noticed any change in his behaviour. He's
      still the same old Spud (10.5). He eats like a pig, loves to be
      petted (especially while eating), and continues his torrid affair with
      an electrostatic duster! He hasn't acted sick since he was diagnosed
      with CRF in Jan. 1997.
      I do, however, think he has lost more muscle mass--he seems bonier
      than ever. There is probably a steroid in his near future. Something
      else to obsess about.
      I'll post his results when we get back Monday night.

      Rachel and Spud
      Chattanooga,
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 39 of 39 , Feb 26, 2012
        Hi Cheryl

        A heart murmur can mean many things. It can be entirely innocent and due to
        a 'flappy valve' as it is in several of my cats who showed no HCM at all
        on echo. Or it can mean HCM which is a very serious disease. A heart murmu
        may also be due to stress at the vets like my Toby has and it was shown on
        echo to be the amount of blood pushing the valve when he got stressed.

        If hyperthyroid isnt under control, then it can cause secondary HCM. So it
        is vital the thyroid levels are normal. The only way to tell if Cheshire
        has heart disease is to have the echocardiogram. I would get it done as soon
        as possible now she has her thyroid treated. You need to watch for her
        breathing rate, anything over 30 a minute is a cause for alarm. Any changes to
        her usual rate and type of breathing are as well. If she has heart disease
        there are drugs she can take to help her.

        I wouldn't have the teeth done until after the ultrasound unless it is
        absolutely vital. She may need special care with an anaesthetic if she has
        heart disease.