Re: [FH] about my last post and potassium supplementation?

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2004
      --- bubblet2002 <bubblet2002@...> wrote:

      > AND found disturbing info re: lasix. I had asked my
      > vet if Zoe
      > should be supplemented w/potassium but she said only
      > if Z. stopped
      > eating, drinking or became dehydrated.

      From what I have read the eating drinking part is
      correct. That is why in an acute ER situation when a
      cat (but not a dog) is likely to be anorectic that
      cats are more difficult to balance. I think what it
      causes is called hypocalcemia.

      BUT doesn't
      > lasix remove the
      > potassium regardless and isn't low potassium a cause
      > of heart
      > failure?!

      I don't have lasix experience, just know from what I
      have read and managed to comprehend in vet articles.
      But I do know that lasix is supposed to be used at the
      lowest dose that does the job and that monotherapy is
      not reccommended. The majority of the cats who are on
      lasix are on an ACE-inhibitor but HCM is so variable
      and there are so many different classes of drugs all
      of which tweak slightly different parameters there is
      no way any of us can know for sure. My guess is that
      the fast heart rate (tachycardia) is the primary
      rationale for beta-blockade. If an ACE-inhibitor has
      not been added it may be because the vet does not
      believe the reninin angiotensin system has been
      activated.

      > Also, is aspirin contraindicated with atenalol,
      > lasix or methimazole?

      There are too many cats on lasix and aspirin and or
      atenolol for that to be the case. I do not know
      anything about methimazole. There is a Merck
      Veterinary Drug link in the Feline Heart links
      section. I do atenolol in the morning and aspirin on
      Mon. & Thurs. evenings. My cat eats cocktail shrimp
      after all pilling so I know his pills don't get stuck
      and he has never had stomach problems from aspirin,
      maybe because he gets it with shrimp.

      Susan

      =====

    • William Draper
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2004
        - furosemide definitely causes the kidney to excrete potassium. however, since cats are obligate carnivores, they get plenty of potassium from their diet (meat is where we get most of our potassium)
        - low potassium CAN cause heart problems, but high potassium is more dangerous
        - aspirin can be used with any of these drugs, and is very commonly

        bill dvm in 2005
        AND found disturbing info re: lasix. I had asked my vet if Zoe
        should be supplemented w/potassium but she said only if Z. stopped
        eating, drinking or became dehydrated. BUT doesn't lasix remove the
        potassium regardless and isn't low potassium a cause of heart
        failure?!
        Also, is aspirin contraindicated with atenalol, lasix or methimazole?
        this is so frustrating... guess that's why we're here.
        thanks

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor